Cork Pad Alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMushroom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been searching for hours to no avail - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

A year or so ago I was looking for an alternative to cork pads to sit between my electric brewkettle and the wooden brew stand I have.

I find that the cork pads end up sticking to the kettle and are a real PITA, making a real mess.

I remember seeing this mentioned/discussed on an existing thread somewhere in HBT and someone suggested a metal grate-like stand from IKEA as an alternative to cork mats.

I remember seeing it and thinking it would be perfect. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the post or the IKEA product page.

I have been searching for over an hour now and can't seem to come up with the right search query either here or on IKEA.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If I remember correctly the IKEA product looked similar to a grilling grate. It was made of metal and looked strong enough to hold a brew kettle and stop me having to deal with sticking and tearing cork pads/mats.

Cheers.

I would think a ceramic tile would do the trick. You could get anywhere from a 12" - 24" depending on the size of your kettle, and could get a color to match your stand.....

I would think a ceramic tile would do the trick. You could get anywhere from a 12" - 24" depending on the size of your kettle, and could get a color to match your stand.....

That is what I use and they work great. I had them leftover from when we built our house. Twelve inch ones are perfect for keggles.

Someone told me they were pretty flimsy.

My problems were over when I trash picked a brand new aquarium stand still in the box! It can handle serious weight.

Latest posts

Back