Copper line for propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
Is it possible to use copper tubing for the burners on my brewstand. Would love to hear from anyone who's done it, and if you have pics I'd love to see them.
Thanks

From an engineering stance, yes it is possible. Whether it is within code depends on your state. I personally wouldn't mess with in if my state said it wasn't allowed, just in case something ever went wrong. Brewing is a wet and acidic environment, so you do have to be careful of galvanic corrosion between the copper and other metals on your brew stand.

Also copper conducts heat extremely well. I would be worried about exploding pipes. Yes it would look cool but i wouldn't do it.

I have not done it in a brew stand. It used to be considered best practice in boat plumbing. My 1968 wooden ketch (<- that one) has copper lines for the propane stove. They are no longer considered the best on a boat because flexing can cause copper to harden and crack. I did replace two after 50 years, but even they were intact, I just changed the style of tank. If it's not against code, I wouldn't hesitate to use copper.

I dunno, I'd say pick whatever's easiest to work with.

My house had a copper propane line from a 40 gallon tank to a clothes drier. Never gave us any trouble. Then we had the kitchen totally redone and the Spousal Unit wanted a gas range, so the copper was ripped out and replaced with iron.

It took a year for all of the leaks to get found and fixed. Major pita. Might have just been a lousy plumber but I was about an inch from making him rip the iron out and run CSST (which for the life of me I don't know why he didn't use that in the first place).

All that said, I went with iron on my brew rig - with no leaks...

Cheers!

Back