Copied 1 Gallon Beer Kit Modified (and screwed up) :D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok guys I took the ingredients from a Brewers best 1 gallon DME and modified it. My last one came out ok, bit weak and I messed up and dry hopped making it a bit harsh on the bitterness but its still drinkable. So I decided to change it up some and still ended up screwing one recipe up

RECIPE 1

1.75 Gal Spring Water Post Boil (screwed up on my measurements, notes below)
16 ounces Pilsen Light DME
(once I realized my water mistake, I added 4 ounces DME at flameout hoping to correct my mistake)
Final total was 20 Ounces Pilsen light DME
4 ounces Brown Rice
1 cup of Honey

3 grams Yakima Citra @60
1 Gram Yakima Citra @15
Boil for full 60
I noticed OG wasn't where I wanted it so added in a simple 1/2 cup sugar to get it to 1.040

Since I screwed up on this was I was like #%^$^ it I will experiment so I split into two fermenters
Pitched Safale US-05 on one
Pitched fleischmann's off the shelf yeast on the other.

Started on 06/23
The one with Safale US-05 looks good, smells great
The fleischmann's is a bit skunky
(will re-do this one right sometime this week)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECIPE 2

1 Gallon Spring Water post boil (got it right this time)f
16 Ounces Pilsen Light DME
4 Ounces Brown Rice
3g German Huell Melon @60
Safale US-05 and ferment at room temp

Started 06/24

Ok let me rephrase that.. it added a bit of a strong flavor, not sure how to describe it. Prob woulda been great if I hadn't fooled with it.

How long did you dry hop for? Personally, have never had a dry hop brew that was made worse from it.

General rule of thumb is 5-7 days anymore than that and you'll get some grassy/strong flavors.

That may have been the problem. I cant recall now for sure but yeh it was around 7-10 before I bottled it. I mean its drinkable, just left a flavor I didn't like
Trial and error, we will see how these last two come out.

how are you converting the brown rice? and are you doing a cereal mash first?

i did an awesome stout with a couple pounds brown rice in a 10 g batch, but i cooked the brown rice in a pressure cooker, and added it to a all-grain mash....

how are you converting the brown rice? and are you doing a cereal mash first?

i did an awesome stout with a couple pounds brown rice in a 10 g batch, but i cooked the brown rice in a pressure cooker, and added it to a all-grain mash....

Yes on one I used plain old brown precooked rice, regular brown rice on the second. Cant really notice much difference between the two other than the plain rice left a bit more residue but no biggies to me. Once done I will filter this so should be fine.

Im still learning in all this. Ive made beer before but it was more of a "wing it" type thing in the shed out back although some came out great, some tasted horrible lol.

Back