Cooper's vintage Ale 2020 advice for partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perch85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

1. New to Brewing and will be looking at modifying the below recipe to a partial mash.
2. waiting for the equipment to arrive so have a month or so prior to doing this brew then will probably move to all grain BIAB.

So below is the link to the recipe

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-vintage-ale-20.html
Now it was thinking of doing this like

30mins re grain mash, remove, then add extracts and dextrose. Bring to boil

60min 2/3 Sultana hops
20/15min enigma and rest of sultana hops
Cool, place into FV

Dry hop as per recipe.

I've plugged into to the software and all falls pretty close in the parameters for an English IPA.
I haven't used hops before so I'm not sure how it will come out.

Should I give that ago or go by what the recipe tells me? any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Perch

Last edited:
Hey Perch,

Recipe comes up as broken link so I can't comment on the partial mash. Hop schedule looks ok but what is 2/3 at 60? I'm guessing ounces but could be grams? What yeast are you planning on using?

Yeah, the link's automatically redirecting to us.diybeer.com which doesn't have that page... So much for the internet being international, huh?

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,

Been busy lately so haven’t been able to reply as fast as a I would like/read

Good old internet. I’ve copied and pasted the recommend brew day by coopers.
2/3 would be 10grams

The Day Before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack).
  • Place the Dark Crystal Malt Grains in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack it using a rolling pin.
  • Add the cracked grains and 2 litres of cold water, fit the lid and sit in the fridge overnight.
  • Brew Day: Remove from the fridge then gather up the corners of the mesh cloth and lift, allowing the liquid to drain from the grains back into the pot.
  • Place the strained liquid onto the stovetop, bring to the boil and add 2/3 of the Sultana Hop Pellets and boil for 25 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and add the Enigma and remaining Sultana Hop Pellets and let steep with the lid on for 20 mins.
  • Cool the liquid by placing pot in a bath of cold water for about 15mins then strain into a Fermenting Vessel (FV).
  • Add the contents of the Family Secret Amber Ale, the Wheat Malt Extract and the Dextrose, then stir to dissolve.
  • Fill with cool water to the 18 litre mark, stir vigorously and check the brew temperature.
  • Top up to the 21 litre mark with warm or cold water (refrigerated if necessary) to get as close to 18C as possible.
  • Stir in the Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture (go to Brewing Support to view the Reactivating Coopers Yeast video) &/or sprinkle the Brew Can dry yeast then fit the lid.
2. BREW
  • Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment at 18C.
  • Fermentation should take 10 to 14 days.
  • At around Day 7, add the remaining Astra, Cascade and Simcoe hops to the brew by wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack) and place directly on top of the brew then re-fit the lid.
  • On day 12, check the specific gravity (SG).
  • Check the SG again the following day and so on.

And I was thinking the pack that came with the kit for yeast but open to suggestions

Back