Cooper's Traditional Draught

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
Started the Cooper's Traditional Draught this morning with the 1.5 kilo tin of Cooper's light LME.

Before I had even opened the first time my only can opener broke, so I ended up using the tin opener thing on the all (and sanitised) Swiss Army knife I usually carry in hill walking trips.

The IG was only 1.035, so I was sort of regretting not sticking in an extra 500g of light DME. Since this is my first time with the Traditional Draught I thought I'd stick to the recommendation on the side of the can.

Read a couple of good things about it so I can't wait to try it.

I use the Thomas Cooper's Heritage Lager in one of my PM recipes. I'd like to see how this tradditional Draught turns out.

unionrdr said:
I use the Thomas Cooper's Heritage Lager in one of my PM recipes. I'd like to see how this tradditional Draught turns out.

Sure thing.

I'll update with all my "testing."

Oh, one thing I forgot to check with the good denizens of the board:

Is my OG a bit low?

Everywhere else I read had an OG of 1.040.

I filled to dead on the 23 litre mark, so I haven't put too much water in.

Even with what I think is a vigorous stirring am I still not stirring enough, thus the lower than expected OG?

I had one with an OG that low once. 1.5Kg equalling a hair over 3.3lbs is about right to the amounts I add to a Cooper's can. Maybe not stiring enough? I strain the chilled wort into the fermenter & top off with chilled water. Then stir roughly for 5 minutes straight to mix it well & aerate a lil more.

It's coming along nicely. There's a lovely bit of brown gunk (hops I presume?) that made as paranoid as my usual n00b=self.

As coincidence would have it this brown patch on to of the Krausen is where a ray of light was coming through a gap in a set of closed curtains all day which I noticed when I got home from work.

After running around thinking, "I've skunked it, AAAAAARG!" I realised I should relax and remember the fermentation process creates all sorts of wonderful things to make me paranoid on each brew and I've not had a bad one yet.

A week in the bucket and that's it at 1.009. I tasted the sample and it's really nice, especially considering it is no where near drinking.

I'm going to leave it two more weeks at primary then bottle.

I should be bottling this on Sunday (week 3) but won't be able to bottle this due to work commitments until about another fortnight.

N00b question: will those extra two weeks make it clearer or have any other positive impact?

I should be bottling this on Sunday (week 3) but won't be able to bottle this due to work commitments until about another fortnight.

N00b question: will those extra two weeks make it clearer or have any other positive impact?

The extra two weeks will clear your beer and allow for full flavor development.
Happy brewing.

I think I have my first infection :(

5 weeks at primary and I wake up to see the film on top of the brew through the see through plastic bucket :(

Sorry for the poor picture, a mixture of a poor quality camera, a poorly lit room, and it being really early in the morning.

Suggestions please?

image-4159082915.jpg

5 weeks in primary is wayy too long, especially for a coopers kit. Go on google and check out some infection pictures, it will help you. A coopers kit usually aims for OG 1.040, and if your yeast is okay, 6 days in primary should be more than enough if you want to transfer to secondary. If not, leave it 2 weeks, then bottle. It won't make a big difference in the beer leave it for too long. A good 2 weeks after fermentation is fine. By the way, I hope you covered that up with a lid

Math0 said:
5 weeks in primary is wayy too long, especially for a coopers kit. Go on google and check out some infection pictures, it will help you. A coopers kit usually aims for OG 1.040, and if your yeast is okay, 6 days in primary should be more than enough if you want to transfer to secondary. If not, leave it 2 weeks, then bottle. It won't make a big difference in the beer leave it for too long. A good 2 weeks after fermentation is fine. By the way, I hope you covered that up with a lid

It's been covered the entire time :( It's been sitting 5 weeks as I've had no time to bottle due to work commitments. I usually leave it three weeks at the most.

There's no off smells. I'm going to bottle under it and hope for the best.

Do I have to chuck my old

unionrdr said:
I can't tell for sure,but it looks like krausen left overs in that dark pic. Krausen sometimes holds on forever.

It was like a thin white film that wasn't previously there. The surface was clear and brown. It still smelt good this morning though.

My "infection" broke up and parts of it sank as I was positioning my bucket ready of bottling.

Is there a chance that is yeast being forced to the top by CO2 as I have read that can cause a white film and not bacteria/mould? I'm going to wait two hours to let anything disturbed float or sink.

There are no off smells. I'm not wanting to taste with stuff floating around in it though!

I have a disappointed look on my face :(

That it bottled. A bit sad at having to waste so much :(

The spigot is soaking in a cup of my sanitiser. The bottling wand in for a soak for a couple if days too.

Any recommendations on how to deep clean my plastic Coopers fermentation bucket? I've heard people say through everything out but I really like this style of bucket. I'm buying my second one soon and would really prefer not shelling out for another one as well.

Some clean it up then bleach bomb it. I forget the ratio of bleach to water. Like 1/4C bleach to 5 gallons of water,something on that order. Then rinse very well with warm water till bleach smell goes away. then sanitize with Starsan or the like.

unionrdr said:
Some clean it up then bleach bomb it. I forget the ratio of bleach to water. Like 1/4C bleach to 5 gallons of water,something on that order. Then rinse very well with warm water till bleach smell goes away. then sanitize with Starsan or the like.

Thanks! I'll bleach the hell out of it and keep rinsing.

I thought I'd give an update on this disaster.

At first it was sour as hell and a fight to take a swig off. Now it is just drinkable with the occasional sour after-taste.

It has a little carbonation after all this time and zero head retention.What little head is formed after a vigour pour is gone in seconds.

At least it has taught me that no mater how good a brew looks or smells just leave the damn lid on and don't keep looking in the bucket!

Not one to share with friends to show what good results home brewing gets :(

I'm trying this for the second time. I starting it on Saturday using a can on light LME extract, Cooper's Brew Enhancer 1, and 20 litres of water. OG was 1.060, so should be around 6% ABV.

Four days in the krausen has fell but still some nice bubbles on the surface. Not the greatest smell yet, but no doubt in a week or two it 'll smell as good as the last one (prior to infection.)

I always brew these kits to 20L as well. The have a fuller taste and an ABV of close to 5. I find 23 liters and the beer is too light and watery

I thought using a 1.5 kilo tin of LME and a pack of brew enhancer might have given me a higher OG.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just using plain LME with brew enhancer & no hops will yeild a sweet beer. you need a little bittering to balance the flavor.

Just using plain LME with brew enhancer & no hops will yeild a sweet beer. you need a little bittering to balance the flavor.

What would you recommend to dry hop? I've got Cascade in freezer (but don't think that'll go.)

Dry hopping won't really give any bitterness. Maybe boil a small amount of hops in a little water for an hour & add that?

Dry hopping won't really give any bitterness. Maybe boil a small amount of hops in a little water for an hour & add that?

I'll try that next time.

I'm trying one from the infected batch I bottled and dumped in the back of a cupboard to see how it aged and it's strangely drinkable, if not quite sour. Very clear but zero carbonation.

Back