Cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

Currently brewing my Oktoberfest and I am patiently waiting for the wort to get around 55 degrees so I can throw it in primary.

Directions say to let it get down to 55 before adding to the cool water at bottom of fermenter, then topping off with more cool water.

I guess my question is why do we need to let the wort get close to 55 before adding to cool water? Won’t adding to the cool water (then topping off with more water) lower the temp enough to be ready to pitch the yeast?

Thanks

This is an extract or partial mash? Assuming that you have a way to cool the whole fermenter, I would add the water to the wort as soon as the wort is cool enough to not warp the the fermenter.

if it is extract.. i know a little late, but for future reference, gather sufficient water ( 3 gals or so) and place in fridge after wort cools to about 90, transfer to fermentor add water and temp should be close to where you need it. Of course first step, read whats on your yeast packet. It should give you a range that it is good for and shoot for the middle :).:mug:

Thanks guys. Yes an extract. put 2 gals of cold water in bottom of big mouth bubbler, added mark wort, filled to 5 gals with cold water, and it’s now in my fridge in the big mouth with the inkbird set to 55. When it hits 55 (middle of yeast range) I’ll pitch.

How’s that sound?

if it is extract.. i know a little late, but for future reference, gather sufficient water ( 3 gals or so) and place in fridge after wort cools to about 90, transfer to fermentor add water and temp should be close to where you need it. Of course first step, read whats on your yeast packet. It should give you a range that it is good for and shoot for the middle :).:mug:

(See post above)

if it is extract.. i know a little late, but for future reference, gather sufficient water ( 3 gals or so) and place in fridge after wort cools to about 90, transfer to fermentor add water and temp should be close to where you need it.

This is a good way to to it, but is one of those times that a full-stop will significantly change the meaning - it should read

"gather sufficient water ( 3 gals or so) and place in fridge. After wort cools to about 90, transfer to fermentor, add water and temp should be close to where you need it."

Don't wait until wort cools to 90 to place water in the fridge.

are you using a dry yeast? I know on some dry yeast they want you to re hydrate it at a higher temp than required. So if you are a little higher than recommendation ( say the range is 50-60), say around 65 70ish, i would pitch and see what happens. Now, i am no yeast expert... i do a lot of things by trial and error. so... take it for the 1/2 cent that it is worth please :yes:.

Back