Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use two different methods for cooling 5 gallons of wort down after boiling it. One for summer brewing and one for winter brewing. Neither of these include a wort chiller, as I have not purchased one yet. I thought sharing these methods just might help a new or even an experienced brewer out. Let's say they are using or getting ready to use a wort chiller and it cracks or breaks. What do you do?
Either one of these methods can be set up in minutes with minimum effort, saving the brewing day from being disaster. Both are extremely inexpensive and done without using an expensive wort chiller. They will take your 5 gallon wort temps down to yeast pitching temps in less than 20 minutes.
Method One:
To cool your wort down to yeast pitching temps without a chiller, I use a $6 rope handle tub from Walmart. I start off by placing about 1 gallon of water in the rope handle tub, add about 3 lbs of ice, then place my boil pot in the rope handle tub. Next, I stir the wort, add as much ice as I can get into the tub and still have the ice floating in some water. You might need to add some water to keep the ice floating. I keep the water and ice moving around by stirring, and stir the wort at this time, too, as this helps the heat transfer faster. I use a different spoon for the wort than I use for the ice water. Add ice cold top off water if it's needed. This helps finish the cooling process even faster.
I use this method in the summer time, as our sink/hose spigot water here in Arizona runs at 95 degrees in the summer.
Method Two:
To do this you will need to have a double sink. You move the faucet to the back of the right sink basin, then plug the right basin with a stopper. Next, roll up a wash rag into a tight cylinder and lay it between the 2 sink basins, blocking off the middle high part of the two sinks. Place it near the faucet and lay it out as far as it reaches toward the front of the sink (leaving around 4" to 6" open on the front end of the sink middle), then pat it down. Next, I turn the faucet on cold until I have around 1 to 2 gallons of cold water in the right sink basin. After your boil, place your boil pot in the right sink basin then turn on the cold water. Slow to medium works well. Let the sink water overflow past the front of the wash rag. You will need to stir the wort every one to two minutes, as this helps the heat to transfer even faster. As stated in method 1, add ice cold top off water if needed.
Using this method will cool 4.5 gal of hot wort right off the boil down to 70 degrees in only 12 to 15 minutes depending on faucet water temp. I'm guessing by late January it will only take around 10 minutes to cool.
For the people that don't have a double sink and want to utilize method 2, you could combine method 1 and method 2 by using the rope handle tub outside. Put the end of your garden hose in it and turn it on low to medium. Place your boil pot in the rope handle tub and just let the water flow over the top. Stir the hot wort every one to two minutes, and once again add ice water to help make the process faster.
*BEFORE USING THE METHOD ABOVE* Please check to make sure that your boil pot is taller than the rope handle tub. If your boil pot isn't taller, you can still use this method by drilling a 1", 2" or 3" hole in the side of the rope handle tub about 4" to 6" below the height of the top of your boil pot when it is sitting in the rope handle tub.
I have found that both of these methods work very well for me and will hopefully work just as well for you, too.
I will be trying the 1/2 combo method right after Christmas, as my wife is giving me a stainless steel 15 gal boil pot with the steamer basket (oh yes, full boil BIAB here I come) and this pot will not fit in the sink.
I hope this helps and makes your brewing day a little easier.
img-1345-285.jpg

img-1309-286.jpg

img-1327-287.jpg
img-1327-287.jpg

If you're doing partial boil this is easy as hell. Just freeze 1 gallon of distilled bottled water and get another one near freezing by shaking sporadically while it sits in a freezer, dump a little out first to allow room for ice to expand. Now do a 4gallon boil which will end with somewhere around 3.25 gallons. Cut the container off the completely frozen container, add wort, then top off to your total amount with near frozen water. If this is combined with even a mediocre icebath you can be in pitching temps in 15 minutes or less

Method 3: Get a frig with an ice maker and run it until the bucket is full. When your wort is done boiling add the entire bucket of ice (about 1 gallon of water) directly into the wort and stir. In less than 60 seconds the wort will be around 85-90F degrees. Add 2 gallons of cold water (45F) to your fermenting bucket and pour the warm wort over it. Now the final mixture is 5 gallons at about 60 degrees.
I know the purists don't like this method but frankly it's really easy and it works great. I have brewed about 30 batches of high gravity ale this way and every batch turned out fine.

"You might need to add some water to keep the ice floating. I keep the water and ice moving around by stirring, and stir the wort at this time, too, as this helps the heat transfer faster."
So it IS technically safe to an extent to have the lid off during the chill phase.

@MyCarHasAbs, I have the lid off for the pics and to stir the wort to get better heat transfer.
Cheers

Yes. I use 5 gal of spring water. I boil with 3, and put the remainder in the freezer, then adding it back into the fermenter along with the hot wart at cool down time. Helps speed things up. Also, for those who soak the pot in ice baths, try adding salt to the bath, it greatly reduces the bath water temp!

7 bucks for 3 pounds of ice? Good Lord, do you live on an island in the Caribbean, lol. $6.75 gets you 40 pound bag in my area!

That's what I do. To minimize the chance of bacteria I wash and Starsan Rubbermaid containers and lids. I then fill them with bottled water and freeze them for a few days before using. From them I get two 1/2 gallons of ice blocks------- a full gallon of an ice block becomes pretty cumbersome using tongs. Using an ice bath in tandem really speeds up the cooling and it is the only water I'm wasting.
There is a drought occurring from NYC up to Maine and I can't see myself wasting 30-40 gallons of water using a chiller to cool 5 gallons of wort.

Back