Cooling with Ice Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I am brewing at my girlfriends house for the first time and I have noticed her sink is much smaller than mine that I usually ice bath by brew kettle in to cool down the wort.

Since I will not be able to effectively use this method I was wondering if I could fill up some Ziplock bags with ice and star-san them down and add them to wart to help cool them down? Has anyone tried this method before and how did it work?

ive seen people use frozen (and sanitized) water bottles. Just fill up a few bottles of water, freeze, sanitize...and plop them into your hot wort. Haven't tried it myself, but ive read good things about it. Good luck!

Are you doing a partial boil? I've heard of people boiling water for 10 minutes to sterilize, then freezing it. Then they add the whole ice block. It cools the wort and adds top-off water for you. Note: I've never attempted this strategy, but it seems reasonable.

Got a cooler or Rubbermaid tote big enough to hold your kettle? Just do the ice bath in there. (Maybe put a couple pieces of wood or something under te kettle to keep the kettle from being in direct contact with the plastic just in case it could melt and spring a leak)

Freeze a gallon of spring water.. drop that in the wort as both cooling and top off.

Or get a cheap plastic tube/ trash can at a local dollar General or what ever you have there.

Last resort, big strong cardboard box and some heavy duty trash bags to make a tub for the pot.

Or... does she have a bath tub?

I freeze 1.5 gallons of water the night before, do a 3.5 gallon boil and pour it over the ice and stir until it's all melted. It's ready to pitch the yeast in less than a minute.

I purchased a 70 quart muck bucket at my local farm and home store. Place colander upside-down in the bottom and place my brew pot on top. Fill with ice a couple of inches from the top of the pot. Takes about 40 pounds of ice for the whole process. Can get to 70 degrees in about 20 minutes.

Are you doing a partial boil? I've heard of people boiling water for 10 minutes to sterilize, then freezing it. Then they add the whole ice block. It cools the wort and adds top-off water for you. Note: I've never attempted this strategy, but it seems reasonable.

this is what I do. simple, but takes a bit of time to freeze that much water

Is it okay to just buy a bag of ice (Happy Ice or whatever) from the grocery/corner store and dump it in at flameout to both cool and top off? Or does it have to be boiled/sterilized ice?

Back