Cooling the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Hello team ..am preparing to brew my Vienna lager but have some few questions .I will be using Vienna 3kg as my base malt than add black rock extract 1.7kg .my question is ,is it necessary to cool down the wort to room temp after boiling the wort and hops or I can just add 23 ltr of cold water and then yeast?

It is not too likely it will be the correct temperature to pitch without cooling. It will depend on the volume you boil and the temperature of the 23L or water you add.

Last edited:
It would be better to cool the boiled volume in an ice bath before adding the cool water. As @beermanpete has said the wort may still be above pitching temperature just adding the cool water. It is a lot easier to cool part of the volume than the entire volume. Try to have the total volume down into the low 60°F range before pitching the yeast.

Latest posts

Back