Cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgardenlove

Reaction score
I gotta say, isn't leaving 150 degree water in a cold beverage cooler going to leech plasticy chemicals out? I'm just somewhat confused by this choice for holding hot water. The insulation makes sense but plastic + hot water feels wrong.
Have there been any discussions on this? I searched but couldn't find.
Thanks!

I've made 10 batches (which isn't that many, I admit) with my igloo cooler. All of them, save one, has tasted fine. The thought didn't even cross my mind. Maybe it will affect me in twenty years, who knows!!

I gotta say, isn't leaving 150 degree water in a cold beverage cooler going to leech plasticy chemicals out? I'm just somewhat confused by this choice for holding hot water. The insulation makes sense but plastic + hot water feels wrong.
Have there been any discussions on this? I searched but couldn't find.
Thanks!

RDWHAHB I use a cooler and the beer comes out fantastic. Lots of brewers use coolers and make great beer. Plastic flavors are not an issue.

I made considerally more than 10 batches with mine over the last 5 years. And have had no issues either. This has been discussed and argued to death. It's your choice if you want to use it or not, there are several other methods that can be utilized in AG brewing if you don't like the idea, BIAB, Zap a Pap, SS herms and rims systems, two pot method, mashing in an oven with a pot.

You can almost argue it revolutionized the hobby, and was probably the one method that has converted more folks to All Grain Brewing (Followed by the more recent [in america that is] BIAB method.)

The cooler, along with the Turkey Fryer really made AG accessible to folks
it is one of the easiest methods, has been used by thousands of folks in the last decade, and none have come back with any credible info or even complaints about what you're worried about.

Ultimately it's going to come down to you.....I'm not giving mine up.

So yeah, Brewtus posted info basically saying no issues for mash temps. But issues for temps over 180 and for sure boiling. If I read it correctly.

So Op, again, you'll have to decide for yourself.

Like pretty much every aspect of homebrewing that has ever been contested...it is up to the brewer to decide on his own.

OP-If you don't feel safe mashing in a cooler then there are many other options out there that you can pursue! I just wanted to present the information Brewtus worked hard to obtain and let you decide on your own!

rockgardenlove from Portland,

Stainless steel is a nice option as well if it gives you piece of mind. My own opinion is that the plastic cooler mash tun poses much less risk, if any than the beer/alcohol your brewing...personal choice.:mug:

Crazy idea...find a tall, narrow brew kettle and place that in the round10 gallon cooler. You'd get the insulation properties of the cooler with the sanitary properties of SS. I wonder if that's ever been done?

Granted...you can do about the same thing with a sleeping bag. Just sayin.

Back