Cooking with your homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Must be my weekend for new posts. I've done something called Belgian Beef Stew many times, it's basically stew meat or cubed good sirloin browned with flour & garlic or dried onion then simmered in beer, until the meat is done and a nice gravy is formed. The original recipe (from Joy of Cooking) calls for using "flat" lager (like Bud or Coors) but I've done it with different beers. About to send the husband to the store for stew meat to do this with the Brown I currently have on tap, and will serve over white rice.

Have you ever cooked with your homebrew, and if so, what was it and the recipe?

I used to keep some bottles of old crappy homebrew from when I first started around to use for beer battering fish. The flavor doens't come through and the extra-bubbly over-primed beer makes good crispy batter :)

Usually I'll use some of my more sub-par homebrew to cook with, deglazing for sauces or beer batter mostly. If I'm too fond of all the beer I have on hand, I'll usually pick up something like Fat Tire to cook with.

I did a hefeweisen beer battered fish and more recently I simmered some onions for a burger the the Rye pilsner I had on tap. Coincidentally I ran out that night half way through the glass I was filling. I was pretty upset that I used basically the last of it on onions but they were pretty tasty.

Other than that, its been granola bars and flour with the spent grains. There is something satisfying about making food that includes an ingredient then you also made.

Warning!
There are very few things that IPA should be cooked with.
Once it’s cooked down everything tastes like hop residue and BITTER. Blah. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made in the kitchen.

Usually maltier beers are better for cooking.

I use beer in pancakes sometimes. We made fish and chips recently with a brown ale in the batter.

I disagree with using sub-par beer for cooking. Like with wine, bad inputs yeild bad outputs.

I use beer in pancakes sometimes. We made fish and chips recently with a brown ale in the batter.

I disagree with using sub-par beer for cooking. Like with wine, bad inputs yeild bad outputs.
I 2nd that!

I never cooked with my homebrew but is about time to do so!

I think I will try to create something like an Eastern beef stout stew... I got a stout that is quite sweet and low on hops that should suit well. Anybody tried something like this?

Edit: https://www.recipetineats.com/irish-beef-and-guinness-stew/ :)

I 2nd that!

I think I will try to create something like an Eastern beef stout stew... I got a stout that is quite sweet and low on hops that should suit well. Anybody tried something like this?

I use Guinness Extra Stout in my chili all the time. It is my "secret" ingredient.
There is an English pub near us that makes a beef stew with Guinness that is very good. I need to try to make that at home.

I think you spell it "expensive imported stout that can't hold a candle to Irish Death". But I may be wrong.

My girlfriend has made a number of delicious beef pies using my Guinness clone. She makes the crust herself so it's one of the most homemade things around.

I 2nd that!

Edit: https://www.recipetineats.com/irish-beef-and-guinness-stew/ :)
I’ve made a few different versions of that stew using various stouts and porters. A great meal for cool evenings.

Someone got me a beer bread mix and I baked it with a stout I had on tap. It was damn good, the beer flavor came through nicely. I’d like to find a good “from scratch” version.

I make "Beer Cheese" with a Pale Ale for dipping pretzels.

I use dry stout for slow simmering venison stew with root veggies in the crock pot.

I make a southern Mustard BBQ sauce substituting 2 C of Best Bitter Ale for 2 C of water the recipe calls for. Beer gives it a deeper flavor profile.

I had an overcarbed stout that came from a kit once and used a couple of bottles to cook some bratwursts in... Wow! Delicious! I poked holes in the sausages to let the goodness flow thru.

There is brand of spices (I think McCormick) that came out with handful of limited release marinades made to work with specific types of beer. After trying them, I bough up a bunch since we love grilling and they taste delicious! I really like the Chipotle IPA, and and the stout one.

I used a homebrew bourbon RIS in brownies and cupcakes in place of the water. The flavor of the beer really comes through. You pair that with some Irish cream frosting and it's a great desert!

When you cook lentils (with garlic, onions) at the end of the cooking when the water starts to evaporate dump in a bottle of beer. Yummy.

Someone got me a beer bread mix and I baked it with a stout I had on tap. It was damn good, the beer flavor came through nicely. I’d like to find a good “from scratch” version.

This is pretty similar to the one I have. Mine is in an ancient recipe book at home. I sometimes add some cheddar cheese or tangerine zest or other stuff depending on what kind of beer I start with. All of my people love this bread when I make it with New Belgian's Citradelic Tangerine IPA and add the Tangerine zest.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-beer-bread-recipe

Try using homebrew as a marinade for steak. The enzymes in beer have a tenderizing property.

Never thought of that...I've got a nice red in the fridge that would do great. Makes sense, the beef stew I made the other day had the meat just about falling apart.

Back