cook apples to soften before juicing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyb

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and have been having a go at making hard cider from fresh apples, detailed in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=589782

I'm going to start another batch today and after spending all last weekend extracting juice, I want to make it a bit easier this time around. I have bought a fruit press, but the apples still needed to be chopped/crushed before pressing. Freezing beforehand was recommended to soften them, but I haven't got enough room in my freezer. I was wondering about boiling or cooking them to soften them first. Unless I'm putting the wrong terms into google, this doesn't seem like common practice, but I did find this tutorial which recommends exactly that:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Apple-Cider-Without-a-Juicer-and-How-t/?ALLSTEPS

What are the pros/cons of doing this? How will it effect that taste of the cider? Will this also pasteurize it?

A "cooked apple" taste is undesirable in cider. It's like the difference between a fresh crisp tart apple you bite into, and the cooked apples in apple pie. Also, cooking the apples may set the pectin, so the cider will never clear.

Thanks Yooper

How about if I were to simmer them at a low temperature like pasteurization?

Thanks Yooper

How about if I were to simmer them at a low temperature like pasteurization?

You want to make cider or apple sauce? If you want to make sauce then heat the apples. if you want to make cider , don't. Cider ain't beer. Heat is for brewing not cider making.

If you want to soften apples, just freeze & thaw them; you can crush them into applesauce with your bare hands after they thaw. I do this with all kinds of fruit, works great, every time.
Regards, GF.

Back