Conversion of Percent to Lbs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
I stepped away from brewing for awhile but now Im back and having a brain fart. Ive got a recipe for a Pliney The Elder clone but all my notes indicate my malt bill in percentages rather than pounds and ounces and I cant recall how I convert that. :confused:

If you have some nice brewing software, there is probably a button for that.

If not, take your % x the extract efficiency of each item and add them all up = E. (you can look online for those values - base malt is around 80%, sugar is 100%) Total lbs of grain= intended gravity points x volume/(E x 45 x your brewhouse efficiency)

Or, if the math isn't appealling.

Start with 13lbs of base grain and scale up/down from there

If you use a tool like beersmith, just enter the ingredients until your percentages match, then increase the amounts until you reach your target OG. Make sure to pre-enter your efficiency first.

E.g., for my system, 10.5-gal, efficiency 80%.

90% US 2-Row
10% Crystal 40L

To get the percentage above, I can use 9 lbs of 2-Row + 1 lb of C40L.

The resulting OG is 1.028.

If my target OG is, say, 1.056, you would need to double the amounts above. (1.028 - 1.000) * 1000 = 28pts. So to get to 1.056, you'd need to double the amounts.

MC

Back