controlled temp increase vs free rise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Got a mini-fridge w/ temp controller about a year ago for temp controlled fermentation. typically i will bring the wort down to about 5 degrees below the lowest temp recommended for the yeast strain used to compensate for if the wort is a higher temp inside the fermenter. i then pitch the yeast and will leave at that temp for a couple days before increasing the thresh hold temp on the controller by maybe 4 degrees, and then raise again 4 degrees or so a couple days later and then usually finish with by upping it another 4-6 degrees to let it finish fermenting. i typically only apply a heat wrap if making a belgian and want to get a temp higher than 70F.

i was wondering if there was any difference between doing a controlled temp raise or just starting cool and not setting any limits and letting the temp rise freely.

NOTE: i only make ales, so technique above should not be confused w/ brewing a lager (though i can see how it might seem that way)

Latest posts

Back