control panel parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wapitiscat

Reaction score
I'm starting to gather the pieces for an electric HLT setup that will expand to include and electric BK later. Overall, I'm interested in control and improved efficiency (time and power source) more than automation. I've got 220 wired in the garage, spa panel is on the way, etc. I haven't settled on an enclosure yet. What I'm not sure about is which parts and pieces I need to get the HLT control going. I'll follow one of P-J's schematics to power two 5500 watt elements with one PID, one temperature probe and one pump for now. Ignoring things like receptacles, power cords, lights and buzzers and such, how does this sound?

SYL 2352 PID
(2) Contactors, 2 pole, 30 amp, 120V coil
40 amp SSR plus heatsink
Temperature probe and probe connection (going with the 4" RTD)
SW6 for the E-stop
SW8 3 position for switching elements

I'm getting to a flatter part of the learning curve on this and look forward to concentrating more on the brewing itself.

Todd

That is what I got, I built very much the same thing but I will use it for both the HLT and BK, switching elements by switching contactors and using the PID in manual for the BK. I used a 12x14x6 enclosure I got off of ebay and it is tight to work in, but should do the trick for operating. I'm just waiting to get my 220v line installed in the basement, and then I can finally start to use this thing.

Back