Continual Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddcarout

Reaction score
I am brewing 1 gallon all-grain batches. I used to brew 5 gallon extract batches and had pretty good beer. I am dialing in my process for all grain. I am having a problem with my fermentation.

My first batch I added 1 fifth the yeast packet and had a week long fermentation. I made an amber ale and used a Wyeast smack pack and used all the yeast. I had a great 28 hour fermentation. I let it sit for 2 weeks and racked it and checked the specific gravity and it was not where I expected it too be. I was expecting it to be 1.01 or less but I had 1.02. It only started at 1.049. Where I keep my fermenters the temps stay between 65 and 71 degrees. I have done 4 more batches and I have moved down to using 1/2 of a yeast packet/vial. I am still getting 1-2 days of very vigorous fermentation and then nothing. I am not getting the final gravity that the recipe or I expect.

I was wondering if in using 1 gallon fermenters there is too much yeast and the yeast cake on the bottom chokes itself off?

Is there something else I am missing?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

What is your mash temperature? If you're mashing too high, you will extract unfermentable sugars that will raise your FG because the yeast can't consume them. I have made 1 gallon batches before and haven't had any problems. Also, what yeasts are you using? Be sure you're within the correct temperature range. Check not only the yeast company website, but also forums. Sometimes the published ranges aren't appropriate.

I do 2 gallon batches and have dumped a whole pack of dry yeast into the bucket w/o it going crazy during fermentation. Done that many times since I can't really save 1/2 a pack.

I am mashing at between 150 and 155.

I will have to check the other yeasts but I am within the stated temp range, but I guess I have some research.

Thanks

I am mashing at between 150 and 155.

I will have to check the other yeasts but I am within the stated temp range, but I guess I have some research.

Thanks

That seems like a pretty wide range of mashing temperature where I try to get to within one degree. If your thermometer isn't extremely accurate at mash temps and were off by a couple degrees so your thermometer showed 155 while the mash was really at 157, you may have so much unfermentable sugars that you get a pretty high FG.

I am going to add an insulated mash tun (cooler) to my system. I am worried that if I strike at 170 at the end of an hour my temp will be too low. I don't have a way to heat the mash back up if I need to.

I was wondering if in using 1 gallon fermenters there is too much yeast and the yeast cake on the bottom chokes itself off?

As far as I'm concerned you can't really pitch too much yeast (unless the style calls for underpitching like a hefe). You won't hurt your fermentation.

As for a cooler mash tun...

I lose about 4 deg. F over an hour in mine if I don't insulate it. I can improve this to about 2 deg. over an hour if I wrap it up in towels. You can also add some hot water half way through to bring the temp back up.

Back