Constant gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manfish

Reaction score
Once my 3 kegs are good and carbed from the O2, do I have to leave them hooked up to the gas constantly or can I shut the gas off until ready to serve without worry of losing carbonation?

Thanks!

well I hope you carbed with CO2...

unless you think you have a leak, you leave the CO2 on all the time. there's no reason to turn it off between uses.

Once my 3 kegs are good and carbed from the O2, do I have to leave them hooked up to the gas constantly or can I shut the gas off until ready to serve without worry of losing carbonation?

Thanks!

Sure. Just make sure the kegs have no leak and you are good to go. It's not a bad idea. I have had a keg leak at the O-ring and drain a 20# tank twice.

I now use keg lube on all o-rings including poppets and life is much better. :mug:

I think the key is to make sure you have no leaks. If you do, they will go flat over time.
But what is your reasoning for wanting to take the gas off?

I think the key is to make sure you have no leaks. If you do, they will go flat over time.
But what is your reasoning for wanting to take the gas off?

To not overcarb it if I am not drinking it regularly and I would think if there was no gas flowing in there, that would also save $$, yes?

The keg reaches equilibrium with the pressure coming off of the regulator then no more CO2 gets absorbed into the beer so no overcarb. Assuming you have a balanced system and no leaks you should be able to set at your serving pressure and be done.

The keg reaches equilibrium with the pressure coming off of the regulator then no more CO2 gets absorbed into the beer so no overcarb. Assuming you have a balanced system and no leaks you should be able to set at your serving pressure and be done.

So maybe I am just new to this, which I am, but even at serving pressure does it stop the flow of gas once it hits the "equilibrium" or what? I would assume it wouldnt from reading what you said, that basically once it hits that point, no more flows into the keg until something is released, yes?

Thanks!

So maybe I am just new to this, which I am, but even at serving pressure does it stop the flow of gas once it hits the "equilibrium" or what? I would assume it wouldnt from reading what you said, that basically once it hits that point, no more flows into the keg until something is released, yes?

Thanks!

Yes, that is correct. No more gas will flow into the keg once equilbrium is reached except to replace volume dispensed as beer.

I do it all the time, due to having slightly different dispensing pressure requirements between my two kegs. If you shut off the valve at equilibrium, there will likely be no adverse affects. I've left a keg off the gas for weeks with no problem (as long as it was pressurized).

-1 on not drinking it regularly

LOL, I hear ya... nothing sucks worse than having a bunch of home brew ready to drink and not drinking it regularly, but trying to lose weight, so I gotta stay away from it on a regular basis... and its been working nicely, 15lbs lost this week so far :)

Back