Considering SS Brewtech InfusSion Mash Tun - Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonnys

Reaction score
Looking at the documentation for the 20 Gallon InfusSion mash tun, it looks like you can fit anywhere from 18.5 - 22 pounds of grain, depending on the grist ratio.

I was hoping to get confirmation from anyone who is currently using it to see if that's the case. I read over the "First Look" and "Second Look" threads, but I'm still a worrier, especially at $550, and would like a little comfort before whipping out the ol' credit card.

Are you sure you don't mean the 10 gallon? You should be able to fit around 50lbs in the 20 gallon size using standard ratios.

That seems weird. I was looking at a similar sheet for the 10 gallon one, which is why I asked if you meant that instead.

https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205412215-Mash-Depth-Grist-Ratio-Chart

The chart in the version you linked to seems kind of weird too. Nowhere are the orange and blue line defined. It's inferred that's the ideal mash depth. However, 5-8" depth on a pot that 23" tall doesn't make a ton of sense.

In the buyer's guide https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207334146-Brewing-System-Buyers-Guide It's mentioned that the 20 gal MLT can do 15 gallon batches up to 1.070, which is around 40lbs.

Hopefully someone who has one, or some experience with them will swing by.

i have the 10 gallon ss mash tun and I have only got 2 brews under my belt with it. yesterdays brew was an 11 lb grain bill and it was a little less than half full. 11 lbs of grain with 4 gals of strike water

i have the 10 gallon ss mash tun and I have only got 2 brews under my belt with it. yesterdays brew was an 11 lb grain bill and it was a little less than half full. 11 lbs of grain with 4 gals of strike water

Good to know. Assuming this is the case, it sounds like 40lb of grain isn't out of the question on the 20-Gallon version.

I have an email in to SS Brewtech and hopefully they will respond. I'd like to get it ordered and delivered before our brew day this Saturday.

shipping for my 10 gal through morebeer took a lil while. I also just got in the 10 gal kettle and that took about 8-10 days from ssbrewtech.

shipping for my 10 gal through morebeer took a lil while. I also just got in the 10 gal kettle and that took about 8-10 days from ssbrewtech.

I called MoreBeer this morning and they said as long as I got the order in today I should have it by Friday. (2-Day shipping from CA to OR)

I do want to also get the mash recirc manifold from them (http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns?lssrc=related) and I'm curious how long it will take to get from SS Brewtech since MoreBeer is currently out of stock until June.

I called MoreBeer this morning and they said as long as I got the order in today I should have it by Friday. (2-Day shipping from CA to OR)

I do want to also get the mash recirc manifold from them (http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns?lssrc=related) and I'm curious how long it will take to get from SS Brewtech since MoreBeer is currently out of stock until June.

i didnt order any expedited shipping on anything. I am also in NH so I am across country which will take a little bit longer I would guess hahaha

iI am also in NH so I am across country which will take a little bit longer I would guess hahaha

Rough luck on that one. I thought they had a facility in PA. Maybe it was out of stock then and they had to ship from CA.

I'm just hoping they can deliver as they said they would.

Response from SS Brewtech:

"At 1.25 qts/lb of mash density you could get roughly 45 lbs of grain into the 20 gallon mash tun. Let me know if there is a specific mash thickness and grain weight you were curious about and I can recalculate."

They were pretty quick (within 8 hours) of getting back to me. I placed my order. Now I just can't wait to get it!

Response from SS Brewtech:

"At 1.25 qts/lb of mash density you could get roughly 45 lbs of grain into the 20 gallon mash tun. Let me know if there is a specific mash thickness and grain weight you were curious about and I can recalculate."

They were pretty quick (within 8 hours) of getting back to me. I placed my order. Now I just can't wait to get it!

awesome! you will love that thing. I usually throw a pot of near boiling water in ( maybe 2 gallons) into the tun to warm it up and it helps reduce heat loss big time. I can hold to within 1-1.5* for the hour mash. the do have an electric heater for it as well that im interested in.

I just brewed a 10 gallon batch of Oktoberfest in my SS Brewtech 20 gallon MT on Sunday. 23 pounds of grain, at 1.25 qts per pound, the top of the grist was at ~10.5 gallon mark. That leaves plenty of room to get to 40+ pounds

My question for those who have the 20 gallon version, anything to look out for in using it in a modest gravity 5 gallon batch, say 10 pounds of grain?

Back