Confusing Primary Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
So I bought a extract kit over the weekend because I had the itch to make some beer. It was a lawnmower beer kit. I made the beer on Sunday, as usual and re-hydrated the yeast according to plan. After 25 minutes the re-hydrated yeast had a nice head of foam on it and the had that nice bready aroma.

I noticed no airlock activity as of last night. Just pressure on the air lock, which tells me that the yeast is working and CO2 is coming off but not enought to force the bubbling. I wasn't worried. This morning again no bubbling just pressure on the air lock. Being an impatient b**tard that I am, I popped open a small portion of the plastic lid (I use the plastic fermenter) and saw some krausen foam all around the bucket at the top but the beer had little or no foam head to it. It was a quick peek! I wonder if it could have fermented that fast or if CO2 is escaping somewhere else instead of the air lock. The krausen foam tells me there is activity, right?!? Should I pitch more yeast or just wait it out? Its in the basement and temp is 72 F. I know I know...RDWHAHB. Has anyone else had this happen?

i was in the same boat a couple weeks ago. it was my first batch, i was concerned. it took about 3-4 days or so before i noticed significant airlock activity. i did notice a slight bulge on the lid and a pressure difference, so i just let it sit.

its now two weeks later, and the FG is right on.

so, if you don't mind taking advice from a complete noob, i would just chill out and wait before you start dycking around with it.

I brewed on Saturday and needed to add some vodka to my airlock.
After I did, the bubbler came to the top of the airlock, but was not bubbling (it was bubbling 1x per second before I added the vodka).
I adjusted the airlock in the grommet, and it started to bubble again.
I guess I had somewhat of a seal, but not a complete one until I adjusted it.
Try adjusting your airlock.

Back