conflicting starter instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboys3

Reaction score
I am getting ready to try my hand at a lauger. when I purchased the kit I decided to try a wyeast 2035 pack, now for the problem I ordered the wrong pack I got a propagator pack and not a activator pack. Well I have no local brew stores in my area, so what the heck I have to make a starter the instructions on the pack call for a 2 qt starter wort and online info on it it calls for 1 qt and then add 1/2 wyeast nutrient mixture to the wort. I did not purchase any nutrient mixture. so what do i do? mix the 2 qt or the 1 qt? is it going to be all right without the nutrient? I was planning on useing a mason jar of some sort to put it in? or am i overthinking everything?
help!
Flyboys3

You would actually need more like a 4L starter in order to get the same amount of yeast out of that pack as would normally come in an activator pack. I really have no idea why they even sell those propagators anymore.

You would actually need more like a 4L starter in order to get the same amount of yeast out of that pack as would normally come in an activator pack. I really have no idea why they even sell those propagators anymore.

My LHBS sells only the propagator packs. They do not carry the activator packs. I have no idea why. It's so annoying. I just order the yeast I need online because I hate messing with those. The last time I used one it took forever to get the starter to show any sign of life. The yeast was probably older than dirt, I forgot to look. I'm gonna start washing yeast after this coming weekend's brew session...

My LHBS sells only the propagator packs. They do not carry the activator packs. I have no idea why. It's so annoying. I just order the yeast I need online because I hate messing with those. The last time I used one it took forever to get the starter to show any sign of life. .

It was older than dirt because everyone who goes in there says, "WTF, why don't they have any activator packs?" Then they go on-line and order what they want. :D

Back