confessions of a fraggin beer snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I am a fraggin beer snob.

Friday afternoon I pulled and opened a beer from my cousin's fridge thinking it was a Sammie. Brown bottle, dark blue cap with white lettering. I realized the error just before the bottle reached my lips. It was a Bud Light.

I grabbed the cap, pressed it back on, put the beer back in the fridge, grabbed a Sammie and walked away.

Today, I walked out of two stores empty handed whilst searching for a sixer to take to my aunt's.

I'm not proud, but I;m not surprised either.

Hey man, you've gotta learn that beer snobbery has it's time and place. You're grabbing a FREE beer from your cousin's fridge? Don't whine about what it is. Drink it, like it, and thank whoever gave it to you.

If your out and about, and buying your own beer, THEN you can whine about the beer selection.

You're grabbing a FREE beer from your cousin's fridge? Don't whine about what it is. Drink it, like it, and thank whoever gave it to you.

sorry, just can't do it

rather drink water

I'm not so desperate for a buzz as to drink something I don''t like

So, someone gives you a beer out of the goodness of their heart, and you tell them, Sorry not good enough for me, I need something better? You must enjoy alienating people.

Seriously? It's OK to say 'I don't like strawberry jam', but it's not OK to say 'I don;t like Budweiser'?

If someone is "alienated" because I don;t like their beer I believe the problem is theirs, not mine.

arturo7
I have to agree with you. If I am out and all they have is Bud Light or the like, I am drinking water or soda. I do not drink to get drunk. I prefer quality over quantity. Thats just me.

I am a fraggin beer snob.

Friday afternoon I pulled and opened a beer from my cousin's fridge thinking it was a Sammie. Brown bottle, dark blue cap with white lettering. I realized the error just before the bottle reached my lips. It was a Bud Light.

I grabbed the cap, pressed it back on, put the beer back in the fridge, grabbed a Sammie and walked away..

Don't feel bad, whoever drinks that bottle won't notice anyway. :D

sorry, just can't do it

rather drink water

I'm not so desperate for a buzz as to drink something I don''t like

I have to agree if it's bud or bud light...unless it happens to be budlight lime....then if it's the only one, I might...at least the lime helps kill the after taste.

But if it's any other light lager/bmc product I will drink it...especially if it's any of the corn adjuncted lagers.

But except for bud american ale, and the afore mentioned BLL..I just can't stand the taste of Bud and Bud light....Millers, Michelob, Labatts, PBR, Strohs, Schlitz, I will drink, and many like Strohs. I will actually buy and enjoy...to me te two main bud products just taste horrible to me...I would rater skip the beer until I can get something else....

So, someone gives you a beer out of the goodness of their heart, and you tell them, Sorry not good enough for me, I need something better? You must enjoy alienating people.

I agree. these threads of how all of a sudden bmc is no longer good enough for an occasional drink is foolish. Don't tell me you started drinking craft beer and have never drank cheap beer.

I'll admit I don't keep bmc in the house, but I would never take a free beer then hide it back in the fridge. As a matter of fact im going camping this week and will be drinking mass amounts of SouthPaw and the like. When your sitting around in 90* heat ice cold swill is mighty tasty.

I agree. these threads of how all of a sudden bmc is no longer good enough for an occasional drink is foolish. Don't tell me you started drinking craft beer and have never drank cheap beer.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to elevate your standards as you experience new and *better* things in life.

For example, my friends and I banged a couple of fatties in high school...While that was acceptable at the time, I wouldn't consider doing "that" now or in the near future. ;) :D

arturo7
I have to agree with you. If I am out and all they have is Bud Light or the like, I am drinking water or soda. I do not drink to get drunk. I prefer quality over quantity. Thats just me.

And I smoke weed just because I like the smell.:D

I guess I'm not a snob. I'll drink anything. The Beast, MGD, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Crazy Horse Malt liqour, whatever.

Of course when I go to the store I'm spending $10+ on a sixer but whatever is good.

Whats the difference in me not eating onions (which is perfectly fine) & turning down coors lite & bud lite last night?

We were over at a freinds house, and nothing ill was said about either one.

I just thought of something somewhat amusing relevant to this thread. I have a lot of friends who will "only drink Coors" or "only drink Bud" whatever. I had one of them over and not be able to finish a Hobgoblin because he didn't like the taste. My brother in law only drinks The Beast and couldn't finish a glass of this really awesome schwarzbier.

I guess if American lager drinkers can shun our beers why not shun theirs?

Crap is still crap. Doesn't matter if it is free or not. I'll echo what's already been said by some others: if BMC is all they have in regards to beer, I'll drink water. What difference does it make if it's free?

Yea, I'm definitely in the "would rather not drink than drink beer I don't like" camp. I'm as discreet as possible about it but I really would rather have a soda or water than Bud or Bud light. I don't drink to get buzzed anyway. Simply not a priority. A pleasant side effect for sure but not the immediate goal of drinking a beer.

As far as evolving tastes, no I haven't always drunk top shelf craft beer, or vodka, or port, or cognac, or coffee, but over the years my experience has enlightened me to the possibilities and poor quality examples of any of them no longer suffice.

I guess if American lager drinkers can shun our beers why not shun theirs?

Word. That is the key right there. I knew that there was going to be a light beer drinker at a party last night. He brought his obligatory case of Corona and I walked in with some Anchor Summer Beer. It is a wheat blend, very light and perfect for the BMC crowd. He tasted it and said he liked it, but...then I told him it was an ale and that he was holding a skunked lager in his hand...he doesn't like ales, and that is why it tastes bad to him.

This my friends, is snobbery to me. I do this on occasion as well, but this is snobbery.

I keep trying them, but always have to turn down Lagunitas beer. They aren't my style, so lucky for you I don't just drink them.

I recently read that Coors isn't pasteurized. Don't know if that counts for anything. Filtered to death, sure, but not pasteurized.

I attended an industry trade show last week. At one of the social events, they we were provided two free drink tickets. One of the gals in our group had the hookup and kept getting more drink tickets.

I took my first ticket to the counter to find the usual run of bmc, and not a single decent beer. I figured they would at least have a Fat Tire or something of the lot.

So, I kept giving my free tickets away to make friends, and spent the night walking back and forth across the building to the lounge to buy Sam Adams Boston Lager. One of the gals was kind of poking fun of me, so I made the analogy of offering a drinker of good wine a bottle of Mad Dog or Boone's Farm. That seemed to make sense to her.

So yes, I would rather pay for a good beer than drink a free crappy beer.

although, a few days later I was at an office thing and at the end of the day one of the guys was making a store run for "refreshments". I told him that if they got some Sam Adams or a
Fat Tire (I used these two cuz I figured the store would have one, and most people know what they are) that I would have one, otherwize I was fine. I also said, that I didn't care for Bud Light or the like, yes I specifically said Bud Light. I was nice about it, and off he went. 20 minutes later, one of the other guys pops around the corner opening a bud light and puts it in front of me. Soooo, I drank it politely and when asked if I wanted another I politely refused, saying one was enough for me and that was that.

I always love walking into a party and getting handed a beer that I don't like. I drink it politely and then look for something else. If I don't find something else, then I nurse that bad boy all night long.

"Matt! So glad you came, I just opened this awesome locally brewed Lagunitas IPA, they're from Petaluma you know? Enjoy the party!"

I was in Florida for a vacation/conference a while back and they had an open bar most of the time that served beer and wine . They served Lite, Bud Light, Corona and this beer that everyone was drinking and raving about: Land Shark. For those of you not familiar with it, it is designed for people who think Corona is not quite skunky enough. It is bottled in clear glass and at the bar, an outdoor bar mind you, in full sun, they were lining up the opened beers on top of the bar. I kid you not, you could smell the skunk from 10 feet away. I drank iced tea.

This was free beer. After the first party, I went out the next day and bought a case of Sierra Nevada to keep in the room and I would just head back to the room and fill a glass whenever necessary. Best $24 I ever spent.

If someone opens a beer and hands it to me, I'll gladly drink it (no matter what style/brand) to be polite. But if someone says "beer's in the fridge, help yourself" and it's bmc, I'll grab a soda instead. I prefer to keep the headaches at bay if I can.
That said, if I'm on the beach or at the river, then I will readily reach for a bll. It's very easy to drink in the sun and I haven't had a headache because of it yet. But there have been numerous occasions where I have left the store empty handed because I couldn't find something that I really liked. SWMBO has quit buying beer for me when she goes, because she's afraid I won't drink what she buys, even if I keep telling her that I will. If nothing else, I'll happily choke down a couple of Grolsch just for the bottles.

I am really not a beer snob I just can't drink Bud products instant headache . ... But when I am invited to a party I will bring a couple of sixers or a case of Poulaner or Hoegarden etc. I feel funny showing up empty handed anyway.

I am really not a beer snob I just can't drink Bud products instant headache . ... But when I am invited to a party I will bring a couple of sixers or a case of Poulaner or Hoegarden etc. I feel funny showing up empty handed anyway.

I'm the same way, if I know there will be beer consumed at social event I'm going to, I'll bring at least a 6'er with me to share. I always felt guilty about drinking someone's beer without replacing it.

The first beer I drank (not just took random sips of to try) was a Guinness. I've only ever ONCE, and I really am not lying or exaggerating, have ever drank and finished a _____ light. It was a Coors that my neighbour gave me when I foolishly agreed to a beer while over at his place. I just wasn't thinking... I've had my fair share of Heineken, and though I find that far less offensive than BMC, I haven't touched a drop of it since I started brewing.

... So yes, I would rather pay for a good beer than drink a free crappy beer...

I did the same recently. My work took us to a suite at a Padres game that had free drinks, but all BMC. I kept going to the bar a few floors up that served Stone IPA and Sam. Everyone kept saying, "Hey man... free beer is free beer". I beg to differ.

I'm always very polite about my refusal to drink ****e beer when with people, unless they're good friends, because they know better! I usually just say something like, "No thanks, I have to drive" (because a beer or two would inhibit my ability to do that, ROFL...) or "I've been drinking all week, need to take a break".

If I'm going somewhere for a party, I always stop on the way and bring my own. Last time I brought and finished a 750 mL of Delirium Tremens AND a bomber of Fat Tire to chase it down :D

I agree with most people on here. Why drink something that you don't like? If someone gets offended that you won't drink their beer, they're retarded. Just say, hey man that's more beer for you. I'm sorry but I don't have the mentality that beer is beer. I knew this guy in college who always said, hey man head is head. Well guess what? Head from a hot girl is way better than head from a fat/ugly/smelly/man girl. I guess that I just have standards.

Life's too short to voluntarily choke down something you don't like. That's not snobby that's just common sense. Snobby is turning your nose up at someone who does like x light and making them feel inferior for it. I may not enjoy it myself but hey it's their taste buds. I don't appreciate people turning their nose up at me because I love Micky D's and so I don't judge what they eat or drink either.

I agree. these threads of how all of a sudden bmc is no longer good enough for an occasional drink is foolish. Don't tell me you started drinking craft beer and have never drank cheap beer..

I can't quite match Gremlyn1. I did finish a few Schlitz behind the neighbor's hedge at age 14. I haven't finished a single American light lager since then, nearly 4 decades. I just don't like them. The next beer I actually finished was a Pilsner Urquell, or two. I tried some Bud Select at a wedding reception this past weekend just to see if my tastes had evolved. Awfully short on flavor and body for my tastes. It was moving well with the wedding crowd, but I took mine back to the bar and got a whiskey sour. They had no better beer in the place, or so they said.

To each his own. I see no point in drinking something distasteful to me, whether it is beer, wine, iced tea, bad lemonade, unpleasant soda pop, or even off-tasting well water. If I just wanted to get drunk, the whiskey straight up would be a lot more efficient, and taste better to me. Most places have someplace where I can discretely disown or dump something without causing hard feelings. There is no need to give offense, but no need to accept it either.

If someone offers you a Bud Light, and you refuse, that may indicate that you believe your tastes are above theirs? Would that be considered rude?

Likewise, if you had a guest over and offered them a beer, would you say, "I'm sorry I don't have any sht beer on hand, would you care for some homebrew, or a Bell's two hearted?"

Where I live, it's kind of hard to find great beer readily available. Most people around here drink the basic BMC. They think that everyone will be perfectly happy to drink whatever beer is available.

This might be an age thing. When I was younger and went to a party or social event nearly everyone drank alcohol. Now when I go the ratio is reversed. A lot of people I know don't drink or drink only rarely. So that if someone offers you a beer and you say "no thanks" it really is no big deal at all.

If someone walks into my house and I offer them a beer and they refuse I have never in my life thought 'oh, they must be snobs, I am so offended.' What kind of pansy assed emo must someone be to be offended by someting so trivial.

On a similar note, most of my friends and family know that I am a professional coffee roaster and auction buyer. In other words I make a living being snobbish about coffee. Sorry to offend you but if you bust out the old percolator and can'o'preground coffee I am going to politely refuse.

But like someone else here said. Having a discriminating palate does not make you a snob. It is judging people harshly for their tastes (regardless of what they are) that makes one a snob.

On my golf league my partner always insists on buying a 6-pack of bud light to split at the course. I don't really enjoy it, but hell, the guy is offering to buy me some beer and I'd honestly feel like a real *****enozzle if I said no thanks, drink all 6 yourself.

At the same time, if I drop by someone's house and they offer something like bud or busch it's a lot easier to just say no thanks since they probably just keep it on hand and didn't specifically buy it for you.

I think it depends more on how it's handled. If someone says "Want a beer?" and you say "No thanks" that's a lot different from saying "What kind? Bud Light? Do you have anything better?" No?".

If they say "Want a beer?" then you need to say yes or no and take whatever they give you. That's just being polite. Someone extends hospitality and you either accept it or politely refuse but getting picky at that point would be rude.

I think that recapping a beer you've opened and putting it back in their fridge was quite a bit overboard. I might have called out "anyone need a fresh beer?" and hope that whoever says "yes" would want a Bud Light. If I didn't get an answer, I'd have drank it myself.

Agreed on all counts Cheshire. My first inclination is always to decline when offered a beer at a stranger's house, especially if they're offering options. I like most root beer, lemonade, and water, better than BMC. I can always change my mind later if I decide on second thought (once I see a beer I like) that I do want one.

In the golf scenario, I would really have to tell my friend that I did not like Bud light, OR, I would beat him to the punch and buy a six that I did like.

I think it depends more on how it's handled. If someone says "Want a beer?" and you say "No thanks" that's a lot different from saying "What kind? Bud Light? Do you have anything better?" No?".

If they say "Want a beer?" then you need to say yes or no and take whatever they give you. That's just being polite. Someone extends hospitality and you either accept it or politely refuse but getting picky at that point would be rude.

I think that recapping a beer you've opened and putting it back in their fridge was quite a bit overboard. I might have called out "anyone need a fresh beer?" and hope that whoever says "yes" would want a Bud Light. If I didn't get an answer, I'd have drank it myself.

If someone says, "Want a beer?" I would reply, "What do you have?" If they say, "Bud Light." I would reply "No, thank you." Saying "Do you have anything better," is what gives beer lovers a bad name.

As for the recapping, screaming out "who needs a beer" is not always option.

In the golf scenario, I would really have to tell my friend that I did not like Bud light, OR, I would beat him to the punch and buy a six that I did like.

I did that once, I got there early and grabbed a sixer of heineken cans (only options at the course are bud light, miller light, mike's hard lemonade and heineken). He was dumbfounded at the turn of events and was confused as to why I chose to pay a few dollars more for this "fancy" beer :D

But every other week he gets to the course way before me and already has the cart ready to go and the cooler full of beer. Yeah, I could just turn it down or break it to him that I don't like BL, but it isn't worth the trouble. It's cold enough that you can down it in a few big gulps without tasting much.

If someone says, "Wants a beer?" I would reply, "What do you have?" If they say, "Bud Light." I would reply "No, thank you." Saying "Do you have anything better," is what gives beer lovers a bad name.

As for the recapping, screaming out "who needs a beer" is not always option.

my line is "I am alergic to rice, so Bud is out for me..." Weither it has rice in it or not, a BMC drinker won't know.

I'll drink most other domestic beers if a friend offers me one, but i do draw the line at bud.

I did that once, I got there early and grabbed a sixer of heineken cans (only options at the course are bud light, miller light, mike's hard lemonade and heineken). He was dumbfounded at the turn of events and was confused as to why I chose to pay a few dollars more for this "fancy" beer :D

But every other week he gets to the course way before me and already has the cart ready to go and the cooler full of beer. Yeah, I could just turn it down or break it to him that I don't like BL, but it isn't worth the trouble. It's cold enough that you can down it in a few big gulps without tasting much.

Sounds like you don't mind drinking BL. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like it and don't drink it.

Back