Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't necessarily hate the bottling and capping, I just hate washing and sanitizing bottles

We'd make good brew buddies. I could starsan bottles all day without minding too much. It's that damned fill wand that gets me some days. Kegging now, only bottling when I intend to give away large portions of a batch.

Ok, true confession time, OK here it is.......

I like light wheat fruit beers. :)

Yeah, raspberry, orange, blueberry, strawberry, ......... oh the shame.... :(

Who do I turn my man card over to?

I cant drink as much as I make and I love to brew almost more than drink. Friends claim to love my beer, but I always have too much in the pipeline. I've spend a lot of money getting to a point where my brewery is complete (Braumesiter, conicals, tools and toys) but I cant brew as much as I'd like. 4/5 times a month if I could...

Besides a light-rinse, I usually don't clean my BK or MT until.... the night before the next brewday. Which can be 6 weeks or more..

PBW is just so damn good, it makes me lazy.

I'm still very new to hombrewing (5 brews in) but while checking the gravity on my first beer, (brewers best IPA) I had a dip of Copenhagen in and my girlfriend had asked me a question. Well like an idiot I decided to answer and accidentally drooled/spit dip into the fermenter.
....anyway, the beer turned out fine and was actually quite good! Never said a word to anyone though lol...

Brother, I made a beer for my rugby team in college (1995 or 1996, I think) that was called "RuggerBrau". It was meant to be the most ghetto beer ever made and it was. I purposefully put some Copenhagen in it; not a whole tin or anything, but a few pinches. It was an extract, so I used my friend's sister's used stockings to strain the specialty grain. I finished up by bottling it in 2-liter Coke bottles*. I don't remember what it tasted like, but the few pinches of Copenhagen didn't have any effect on the flavor and everyone enjoyed it.

* The bottom of the bottles bowed out so they couldn't stand up straight, so I had to put them in a milk crate with cardboard around them so the yeast at the bottom wouldn't get all mixed up in the beer. Now that I think about it, that would have been more ghetto, so maybe I should have let them roll around.

I cant drink as much as I make and I love to brew almost more than drink. Friends claim to love my beer, but I always have too much in the pipeline. I've spend a lot of money getting to a point where my brewery is complete (Braumesiter, conicals, tools and toys) but I cant brew as much as I'd like. 4/5 times a month if I could...

I can't brew at the same rate as consumption feel free to send some my way lol

Confession: I LOVE to bottle! AND label.

I just bottled 56 beers and my back is killing me. Once the siphon is going it's not that bad. It's just the setup, sanitizing, cleanup, etc. etc.

Labeling? What's that? :fro:

I just sanitize whatever bottles are clean let 'er rip. No de-labeling or anything. The only way to tell that they're not from the beer factory is by the ghetto-looking silver bottle caps or the ones with a big B on them.

I sometimes empty a 5 gallon corny keg, and refill it with the same beer, without rinsing or sanitizing between. I've never noticed a problem.

I've been known to leave my spent grain in my MLT until the night before the next brew day. It has been draining I to a bucket, the entire time, so the advantage is it's very dry and light weight.

I have to admit that I am addicted to this site now - I just can't spend a day where I don't check at least once... lol

I have told my wife that I am done with my brewery upgrades.
"No baby I'm done with my brewery expenses!"
I just can't help it - I read and want more... damn this site! =;>

I have let me spent grains sit in my MLT for a week. Holy shnikes that was Wrong when I opened it finally.

I just bottle 56 beers and my back is killing me. Once the siphon is going it's not that bad. It's just the setup, sanitizing, cleanup, etc. etc.

Labeling? What's that? :fro:

I just sanitize whatever bottles are clean let 'er rip. No de-labeling or anything. The only way to tell that they're not from the beer factory is by the ghetto-looking silver bottle caps or the ones with a big B on them.

Did 66 bottles myself yesterday. Yeah, it's a killer, but to me the reward is worth every bit of the effort! I delight in the whole brewing experience along with its ups and downs.

Re: labeling, I do it because I like the creative aspects of designing a label. We always have a family "Name-the-Beer" Contest toward the end of fermentation complete with little prizes and I design a label based upon the winning entry. It keeps everyone involved in a good way.

I have not yet NOT had fun --- from the buying equipment/ingredients to finally cracking open a cold homebrew I made myself. Call me crazy, but yeah...

That's what I keep telling myself. I have 2 beers to bottle and I am dreading it. It is so awful. :(

I really liked bottling 9 bottles. 50 at a time might change my mind...

I bought a kegging setup while my first 5 gallon batch was in the fermenter. It just seemed easier than all those bottles. But I continued to rinse and hoard many cases worth of bottles.
Next batch might be bottling instruction opportunity for my new husband. He just doesn't understand why I save them. :drunk:

I sometimes empty a 5 gallon corny keg, and refill it with the same beer, without rinsing or sanitizing between. I've never noticed a problem.

I've been known to leave my spent grain in my MLT until the night before the next brew day. It has been draining I to a bucket, the entire time, so the advantage is it's very dry and light weight.

I do it too, the same beer goes in the same keg over and over, with no cleaning.

I find this interesting. I've always waited at least three weeks before bottling even after checking FG (just a habit I guess), and I've always cracked one open after a week in the bottle to see how its going. Some have had slight to moderate carbonation but none have ever been fully carbonated (I've only brewed a little over a dozen batches). The last batch I made, I bottled after 2 weeks to try something different and after a week in the bottle it was very close to fully carbed. Makes me wonder if it does have something to do with the yeast not settling out as much. I've never looked into or thought about that before.

Yeah. I only started doing this once I moved and stopped kegging. When you think about it, bottling is a mini-secondary fermentation. When your yeast is fresh it won't be lazy and gets the job done quicker. Keep in mind, that this isn't the best practice by any means as the beer will not be fully conditioned and will be "green" tasting. However for quick session styles, hefeweizens, pale ales, some IPAs, and for more brew days, it could benefit from a quick turn around.

Yeah... I still have the yeast cake under about 20 oz of beer in the fermenter from the brew I bottled on 1/11/15.

The beer I bottled is completely gone (drank it).

No infection in the fermenter yet.

Lol, I'm terrible, but Oxi Free is awesome.

My brewday on Friday was the first time in almost a year I have remembered to take a SG reading.
And due to being my first brew with a new mash tun,loosing a shed load of heat and having to heat up twice,I missed my projected SG by 9.
Insulatio me thinks

I have my 4-tap keezer filled with beer that I really have no interest in drinking. It's not that they're bad, it's just that I'm never in the mood for any of them. Instead, I've been spending 30-40 bucks a week on commercial micro's. This has been going on for over 3 months now. I don't have the heart to dump them out but also don't have the time or desire to bottle it all off the taps. I haven't brewed anything recently because I don't have any empty kegs and I absolutely refuse to bottle. Every weekend I try to get motivated to do fix this situation but instead I just go to the store and buy more beer. I'll deal with it next weekend.

I also suck at taking brewing notes. The times I do take notes, I almost never write what beer it is I'm brewing. I always plan on rewriting them later but never do. They just get forgotten about until months later when I have no idea what notes go to what beer. So I just throw them out. Consequently, I still haven't dialed in my system yet because I hate note taking. College really burned me out on taking notes.

I work on a commercial bakery, flour has an allowable level of "insect parts". it would be impossible to fully eliminate.

Do the same thing for ale water, always come out good. Don't know the chemistry friend recommend it and it just that it seems to work well.

I follow very poor sanitation and cleaning practices with my fermenters.

I don't rehydrate my yeast.

I don't vacuum pack or reseal my hops or bulk grains.

I have essentially no knowledge of what flavors and aromas to expect from the hops I use other than what I read in the Beersmith ingredient descriptions.

My temperature controller is malfunctioning and I haven't done a dang thing about it because my beer's fermenting at the right temperature right now anyway.

I once brought a highly-inappropriate gift home from traveling abroad. For my mom. I thought, "She and her friends are eclectic and modern. It'll make a hilarious conversation piece." Nope. :eek:

I always intend to save yeast, but never have anything prepared. As soon as the fermenter is empty, I wander off. The beer's been kegged for three weeks. :(View attachment 254168

Hell yes...you should see the science experiment left still hanging out on the corner of my bar...

Actually, it's not that bad...its still to airlock, so it really just hop gunk and dead yeast. But I keep telling myself, "Self, it's much easier to clean these things fresh..." Still, here I am *again* with the batch already kicked, and I haven't cleaned out the Better Bottle it fermented in!

I drink my morning coffee while waiting for it to have the desired effect in the very place the action happens....

But brewing? Though I am fully capable of making slants, or at the very least propagating overnight cultures of yeast, it all goes right down the drain....

I have my 4-tap keezer filled with beer that I really have no interest in drinking. It's not that they're bad, it's just that I'm never in the mood for any of them.
I'm in a similar boat. My taps are currently Pale Rye Lager (30%), Irish red, DIPA, Chocolate Stout that needs some work. The lager is decent. I'll probably make another with a different yeast soon. The Red is awesome but I promised a friend that I shall not touch the tap until he's over next time. Been tempted. The DIPA well you really shouldn't have a couple of those at lunch time and the chocolate stout is good for about one pint per day. Nothing is moving quick out of the keezer, and I have a couple that I'm kind of anxious to get into it. What a world.
I have let me spent grains sit in my MLT for a week. Holy shnikes that was Wrong when I opened it finally.
I had enough regrets with a 48 hour wait. I've experienced worse endeavours in my life, but that is one that is easy enough to never repeat.

psst - I know I shouldn't be giving advice in this thread - but arm & hammer baking soda is king on plastic coolers!!

Yeah, I think I had some baking soda somewhere there in the cleaning process! I did also have one of those freezer/fridge boxes in there for a while after the main (repetitive) cleaning, and it still took some prolonged time to get all the residual odor out...

It truly was a foul thing...and talk about natural consequences! I *ALWAYS* empty out my mash tun out immediately after getting the boil going now!

I confess... I have not brewed in a month. At. All. Went straight from brewing every single weekend to nothing. My poor husband is now drinking... *gasp* commercial beer...

I have just the opposite problem. I've brewed some much in the last 2 months that I haven't been able to brew because I have no place to put any more beer.
I need help with the consumption end. Anyone thirsty?:tank:

I have just the opposite problem. I've brewed some much in the last 2 months that I haven't been able to brew because I have no place to put any more beer.
I need help with the consumption end. Anyone thirsty?:tank:

I'll send you BigJohn... he is good at making short work of beer storage problems.

Back