Conditioning Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
I'm filling my first keg tomorrow and I have a question about the temp it should condition at. Previously, I've left my bottles at room temp for at least 3 weeks to carb. and condition. Do I need to leave the beer in the keg at room temp to condition or can I throw it in the keezer? I was planning on putting it on gas to start carbonating it, but I was just wondering if it would condition slower at cooler temps. Thanks

It'll still condition at lower temps, but it will take much longer. I like to leave mine at room temperature a few weeks, then stick them in the kegerator to cold crash and clear up more.

Can I go ahead and put gas on it to start the carbonating process? It will be at about 60 degrees, so about 23 psi would be about 2.5 volumes.

Yoop, do you think it clears quicker at room than in the fridge? I've always conditioned in the fridge but it would be easy to just leave it out. Interesting.

Either way I'd put gas to it and purge it of O2 before conditioning it either outside or inside the box.

When you cool the beer stuff will precipitate out - called chill haze - and eventually settle to the bottom. What I do for lagers is after it has finished fermenting and conditioned for a week or two I add gelatin and crash it too ~ 32F for a few days. I then rack the very clear beer into a keg and store it in a crawlspace that is between about 45-55F year round for a month or more before tapping it.

GT

I just got 3 extra kegs so that I can condition in them. Do you recommend to cut a half inch off the liquid tube to avoid picking up yeast sediment?

Back