Conditioning Finished Beer in Fermzilla All Rounder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solsbrew

Reaction score
Possibly (probably) a stupid question. I have an All Rounder, which I really like. Usually I've pressure transferred directly to the keg and then conditioned using corn sugar in the keg. I only pressure ferment at about 2 or 3 PSI. I used to do higher but my beers didn't taste as good. However...I was wondering...what if I cooled my finished beer in my All Rounder and conditioned it before transferring to the keg? Would that just be a stupid idea or is it possible? I imagine I'd just make a mess...but was curious.

FYI: I live 2 hours round trip from a CO2 supplier and use Soda Stream CO2 canisters...it is expensive to force carbonate and pressure transfers uses a ton of CO2. Keg conditioning isn't really a problem...but I thought it might save me a little CO2 and make my beer a little cleaner in the keg.

Has anyone tried this?

I keg condition fairly often but not with the fermenter. Only in the keg. I don’t know the max PSI for your all rounder but you need to confirm that or you’ll have a real beer bomb!
Since you already transfer. I’m presuming closed then you can easily keg condition. I usually give it ten to twelve days.
Great carb.

I do exactly what you say, except I put a spunding valve on so its basically already carbonated before cold crash. The all rounders are rated to 30+ psi.

I do exactly what you say, except I put a spunding valve on so its basically already carbonated before cold crash. The all rounders are rated to 30+ psi.
I have a spunding valve too. You prime in the All Rounder?

I keg condition fairly often but not with the fermenter. Only in the keg. I don’t know the max PSI for your all rounder but you need to confirm that or you’ll have a real beer bomb!
Since you already transfer. I’m presuming closed then you can easily keg condition. I usually give it ten to twelve days.
Great carb.
Yes. I do a closed transfer. It can go to 35 PSI or so. I've fermented and had it up to 20psi, but I usually transfer and then keg condition. I want to see if I can get it conditioned in the fermenter though if I can!

Yes. I do a closed transfer. It can go to 35 PSI or so. I've fermented and had it up to 20psi, but I usually transfer and then keg condition. I want to see if I can get it conditioned in the fermenter though if I can!

sure. I once conditioned a stout on the yeast for two months. No problems.

I just finished my first batch with a new system, new because I no longer had the spacious shop where I used to brew (we moved into a mobile home). Mash, sparge, and boil were the same, but not being able to use my wort chiller (too much water use, no place to drain), I instead applied a film of keg lube to the underside of my kettle (SS Brewtech, 10G) lid's perimeter, put the lid on, and let it sit overnight to cool. Next morning, it was down to 76 degrees, and so I pumped it into my All Rounder housed in a Komos kegerator, cooled it down to 68, then pitched my yeast.

After fermentation and a D-rest, I hooked up my gas line to a gas connector on the All Rounder lid, and set it at about 2 PSI to keep a CO2 cover on the beer. I turned the temperature down to 36 and cold crashed for 3 days, then turned the pressure up to 30 PSI to force carbonate. I let it sit for two days, which turned out to be too much carbonation (the beer has about 3-4 times the surface area in the All Rounder as compared with a corny keg, which I think was the cause). I disconnected the gas line, depressurized the All Rounder, and agitated the beer a few times, then let it it for a few hours. This took care of the over carbonation, and after that, once I turned the pressure up to a 10-12 PSI serving pressure, everything worked fine. The beer came out very well, and I really liked not having to transfer it once it was in the fermenter/serving keg. Yes, the beer was sitting on a bunch of trub and hop residue (I dry hopped with 9 oz of pellets), but no ill effects on the beer, and thanks to having two beer lovers in the house and some visiting friends, we were finished with the keg in 10 days.

I might at some point go back to doing the closed transfers I used to do with my original Fermzilla (with that touchy bottom valve), but for now I am really liking the simplicity of this new system.

Back