Condensed Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew101

Reaction score
So. . . .boiling condensed milk turns it into a caramel thing. im wondering if anyone has fermented this. maybe like a bochet? who knows?
anyways im probably going to try it byt was hoping someone had some experince with this so i dont waste time and money.
thanks

If you want to ferment condensed milk, it will have to be sweetened condensed milk, or you'll have to add fermentable sugars. Lactose isn't fermentable by beer/mead/wine yeasts.

I was going by this....

"But condensed milk has one main difference: sugar. Condensed milk is made up of about 40 to 45 percent sugar. While the can says sweetened condensed milk, you can safely assume that all condensed milk is sweet, because otherwise it would simply be evaporated milk, which is always unsweetened."
https://www.wideopeneats.com/differ...is made up,milk, which is always unsweetened.
I actually just heard the same question asked on a cooking show recently and the answer was the same that I gave. I don't know what to say...different brands label it differently maybe?

*and canned liquid evaporated milk is a thing, even though the name suggests otherwise.

Randy Mosher's Vida Dulce porter recipe calls for 500 grams of dulce de leche, which is sweetened condensed milk that is caramelized in the can. Haven't tried it, but it sounds pretty tasty.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting way of adding caramelly flavors and sweetness to something like a milk stout.

so im thinking of more of a caramel apple cysor. a little cinnomon and vanilla bean.

I don't have experience/expertise with this topic, but you might want to consider the fat content. I have heard that fats/oils in fermentations can cause nastiness.
It MIGHT be possible to separate the fat out by mixing the condensed milk with water and seeing if layers form: fatty layer on top, water and soluble components below. Can't be sure about this working... might help to heat during initial mix and cool to separate layer.

Back