Condensation during boil -> lack of head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Ever since I moved into my house, my beers have had extremely poor head retention across multiple batches. I have carbonation as expected. Previously, I had no issues with head retention. It’s not my glassware because I have proper head retention with other people’s homebrew and commercial beers. I haven’t changed my sanitation procedures and consider myself meticulous about cleaning and sanitizing. I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher without detergent.

I’m using a MLT cooler setup, boiling on the stovetop, fermenting in a glass carboy, and bottle conditioning my beers. The results are the same irrespective of time in the bottle (up to three months).

There are only a few differences I can see:
* boil geometry
* water in my house is different than the last city I lived in
* I ferment at cellar temperature (~65°F instead of room temperature).

I noticed that the microwave/vent fan is lower at my house than in my last one. I also noticed that steam from the boil condenses on it and drips back into the boil kettle. (Note: no one has noted DMS in my beer in comps)

I have a theory that grease from cooking is on the microwave/fan and this is getting in my beer due to the condensation, and causing the head retention issues.

Before I drop $$$ on a propane burner and moving outside, does this sound like the most likely root cause?

I’m considering setting up a fan to blow the steam away from the microwave next time I brew to see if this helps. Any other ideas on testing this theory out?

Not while the bottles were being washed, but the dishwasher came with the house so I don’t know about before that. Would it stick around like that?

You could rig up a "hanging tent" of foil over the kettle maybe. Condensation on that would be free of microwave vent grease.

What did you end up doing? I have a similar concern. I moved to a larger kettle and now I see condensation forming on the vent hood. I cleaned it as best I could but the stove gets used and I don’t want grease falling back into my kettle.

Fortunately the new kettle is electric and I’m only using it on the stove for the vent. I can move it away from the stove if I have to (heavy duty extension cords) but then I still have a ventilation issue (unless just moving the kettle near a window ends up being enough).

I may have to build a portable exhaust fan...but I’m curious if you found a solution at the stove.

Ever since I moved into my house, my beers have had extremely poor head retention across multiple batches. I have carbonation as expected. Previously, I had no issues with head retention. It’s not my glassware because I have proper head retention with other people’s homebrew and commercial beers. I haven’t changed my sanitation procedures and consider myself meticulous about cleaning and sanitizing. I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher without detergent.

I’m using a MLT cooler setup, boiling on the stovetop, fermenting in a glass carboy, and bottle conditioning my beers. The results are the same irrespective of time in the bottle (up to three months).

There are only a few differences I can see:
* boil geometry
* water in my house is different than the last city I lived in
* I ferment at cellar temperature (~65°F instead of room temperature).

I noticed that the microwave/vent fan is lower at my house than in my last one. I also noticed that steam from the boil condenses on it and drips back into the boil kettle. (Note: no one has noted DMS in my beer in comps)

I have a theory that grease from cooking is on the microwave/fan and this is getting in my beer due to the condensation, and causing the head retention issues.

Before I drop $$$ on a propane burner and moving outside, does this sound like the most likely root cause?

I’m considering setting up a fan to blow the steam away from the microwave next time I brew to see if this helps. Any other ideas on testing this theory out?
I agree the grease would be a concern for me too.. Ive heard it does not take much to destroy the head on a beer.

Back