Concerned with mash water retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim H

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
FFD49F65-55AB-4794-9F38-85E8ACCACDA4.jpeg
55ACB2B1-09FA-4B25-B7E3-805D7BBD1C8B.jpeg
FEED577A-BB3A-474C-A9AF-E7A86AF26FAB.png
Hey guys,

ive been brewing all grain for the last 6 months, mostly DIPAs and such with straight grain bills. Tonight I decided to try a NEIPA recipe with 2+ lb oats. To my surprise, there is soooooo much water retention in mash, and my sparge went to **** compared to my usual routine.

is this normal? Do you need to heavily compensate for water loss? Usually when I taste the spent grain, there isn’t much sugar left. This batch was rather sweet (meaning it just didn’t get the right efficiency)

I am just scratching my head here

I haven't brewed NEIPA yet but isn't 2+ lbs of oats a lot? I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

As I look at your recipe, I doubt the 2+ lbs of wheat did you any favors, either. Rice hulls might have helped loosen things up a touch and given you better drainage. Just a thought, though.

Last edited:
I haven't brewed NEIPA yet but isn't 2+ lbs of oats a lot? I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

As I look at your recipe, I doubt the 2+ lbs of wheat did you any favors, either.
The local brewery this recipe supposedly came from (can’t verify if it’s an actual clone) has just super dense beers unlike most I’ve drank before. They taste great, I just want to understand how to handle oats and wheat in the future.

I use the Gf as well. I use 1# oats , 1# white wheat and 1# flaked wheat in my NEIPA . I believe it's a grain bill of 16#. I haven't had an issue with it being too much absorbtion. I cant tell but do you have rice hulls in there ?

Reason I'm asking is it looks like your grain basket is sitting in a pot and not draining very well. Was that what you meant by poopy sparge ?

I use the Gf as well. I use 1# oats , 1# white wheat and 1# flaked wheat in my NEIPA . I believe it's a grain bill of 16#. I haven't had an issue with it being too much absorbtion. I cant tell but do you have rice hulls in there ?
No rice hulls. That picture is after I did a 60 minute sparge. I started with 6.5 gallons of water and ended up with less than 4.75.

So are rice hulls that critical? I’m just shocked.... my grain crush does a great job leaving the hulls in tact to help sparge. Guess it’s time to buy that **** in bulk!

So are rice hulls that critical? I’m just shocked.... my grain crush does a great job leaving the hulls in tact to help sparge. Guess it’s time to buy that poopy in bulk!

When using oats and stuff like that it goops up so the rice hulls help with the draining .

For that grain bill of almost 17lbs the Grainfather calculator shows you need to start with 5.55gals for the mash and 2.61gals for the sparge . I have found the calculator very accurate. And rice hulls are a must with that much oats.

Back