Concentrated Star San on Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
Passivating a brushed stainless steel kettle with Star San solution. Dumped my Star San in then added the appropriate water. I splashed a bit of concentrated Star San on the side of the kettle inside in a few places and it ended up leaving stains. Was probably on there for a few minutes before it got wet from the solution.

I assume this is nothing to worry about and the only ill effect is some staining inside my kettle?

I highly discourage having un-diluted StarSan touch anything other than it's own contained or water. That stuff is quite acidic. I'm not sure about those stains, try barkeeper a friend. And just don't do that again

- ISM NRP

I know BKF can do that in a hurry. I guess I know now what Star San does. There isn't a lot of "staining" fortunately and I know better now I suppose.

All you did was really passivate the ss where the concentrate hit it. Nothing to worry about. The color difference is just because you took off the oxide layer and let a shiny new one form I believe. I don't know if it is a "thicker" oxide layer that forms over time that causes the ss to become more dull, compared to the brighter freshly passivated ss, or if there is another reason it seems to dull a bit over time.

All you did was really passivate the ss where the concentrate hit it. Nothing to worry about. The color difference is just because you took off the oxide layer and let a shiny new one form I believe. I don't know if it is a "thicker" oxide layer that forms over time that causes the ss to become more dull, compared to the brighter freshly passivated ss, or if there is another reason it seems to dull a bit over time.

This is kind of what I thought too. Still would be a lot more careful in the future though. Anyway, probably no harm.

Back