Concentrated All Grain Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
Has any tried to do a concentrated all grain boil? My pot holds 8 gallons and I am looking to do a 12 gallon batch. I'm curious if it could be done like extract. What recipe did you try and what were the results.

-Sumo

sure it can done with extra grains and you might get a darker beer due to malliard reaction with a more concentrated wort. Can you boil in two seperate pots and blend it together in the fermenter. I haven't done it

Do you mean boiling x amount of AG wort down and then diluting it with an amount of water to increase the batch size? Like topping off in an extract w/grains batch?

Yeah, I have been experimenting with something like that this winter on my stove- top. I've only talked about it a little on here, and haven't given much details, 'cause I've wanted to try a few different beer styles and see what works and what doesn't.

And then write something more formal up.

So far I've done a wit (twice), a vienna lager, an Ipa, a Red ale, and a Cream ale. And the Vienna actually won honorable mention in a bjcp contest last year.

Basically what I've been doing is doing a fairly high grain mash for a preboil volume of between 3.5 and 4 gallons (which is the max my stove can handle) to boil down to 2.5 gallons. To be topped off to 5 gallons.

I use beersmiths dilution calculator to see what the the final gravity will be when it's diluted to 5 gallons.

I take lots of refractometer readings during this, use an ibu/bg chart and constantly tweek my beersmith as I go along.

To compensate for hop utilization I up the hops in my recipe by 18%. But I am also figuring stuff out on the fly.

All the beers that I have tasted (which is half of those I have brewed, the rest are still fermenting or bottle conditioning) and they've turned out good. I have had the best luck with low IBU beers- like the wit and the vienna lager, and with the ipa.

The hopping on the former is really conservative so it's not over hopped. And the Ipa is really hoppy, but it's an ipa and even if it were overly bitter, It's still a good thing since I like hops. :D

Hope this helps. :mug:

Not unless you want to do what this guy is proposing. Same principle as what you've suggested just not as wordy. :D

I don't see how. In partyguiling you are making two or more beers from one grain bill. Round one = beer 1, Sparge/second runnings = beer 2. Neither of them get topped off.

I think he's talking about what I described above. Mashing/sparging and boiling down the wort then "topping off" in the fermenter.

I think :confused:

Relax reverend. I am only suggesting a means to an end. Thinking out of the box. Use parti-gyle principle to make a first runnings Barleywine of sorts and then dilute the Barley wine wort to the desired gravity and IBU's to accomplish the end result.

Whether a second gyle is performed for another beer is neither here nor there.

Point is, the principle are explained through the party gyle process for a first runnings beer. the only thing to add, which you already did, is how to account for IBU dilution along with gravity dilution.

Relax reverend. I am only suggesting a means to an end. Thinking out of the box. Use parti-gyle principle to make a first runnings Barleywine of sorts and then dilute the Barley wine wort to the desired gravity and IBU's to accomplish the end result.

Whether a second gyle is performed for another beer is neither here nor there.

Point is, the principle are explained through the party gyle process for a first runnings beer. the only thing to add, which you already did, is how to account for IBU dilution along with gravity dilution.

I'm still confused.....Why wouldn't you want the second runnings/sparge in the preboil wort? You'd still want to get as much sugar off the grain as possible.

You could do no-sparge, which I did for the cream ale (which I haven't tasted yet, that's also the one I used a half pound of tortilla chips because I was missing half of the flaked maize my recipe called for.) but I would think you'd want as much fermentables as possible before you dillute.

Whatever will fit in his 8g pot whether it is all first runnings or combined with 2nd runnings or fermenter is topped off with additional runnings after its boiled. There is multiple ways of doing this with the same outcome

Yeah, and I was just wondering why? I'm curious as to what his rationale is, nothing more.

Wait. I was suppose to be rational about this?

If it were me, I'd still collect the second runnings and freeze them or just make the second beer.

I think the first gyle is simpler since less boil down may be needed.

Has any tried to do a concentrated all grain boil? My pot holds 8 gallons and I am looking to do a 12 gallon batch. I'm curious if it could be done like extract. What recipe did you try and what were the results.

-Sumo

I did it. Search for brewing half a double batch. I will try to post the links.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brewing-half-double-batch-153702/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/double-batch-results-158921/

The recipe was BierMunchers Centennial Blond. Most people enjoyed one or the other very much.

The keg that was very hoppy calmed down quiet a bit in the 2.5 weeks it was on gas. At first I thought I would hold back the hops/break on the second batch because it was so hoppy but now I plan to do it exactly as before.

Latest posts

Back