Conan Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at the popular NE Juicy IPA and have been reading all I can get my hands on. While there are likely a host of others, seems the yeast of choice narrows down to two contenders: Wyeast 1318 London Ale III or "Conan". I google up Conan and don't readily see that name as a yeast being marketed as Conan. Would this possibly be White Labs Vermont Ale yeast? Any information would be helpful...Thanks!!

Excellent! I have been wandering all over looking for info on the best NEIPA. Do you have a recipe that you feel is a good one? I see hop usage is all over the board. Some use 6-7 ounces for various additions, while other can add up to a full pound of hops which I feel may be a waste. Malt bills...some use oats, some not. Ideas?

Excellent! I have been wandering all over looking for info on the best NEIPA. Do you have a recipe that you feel is a good one? I see hop usage is all over the board. Some use 6-7 ounces for various additions, while other can add up to a full pound of hops which I feel may be a waste. Malt bills...some use oats, some not. Ideas?

I've done three NEIPAs now. The first one was pretty meh. Way too much in your face west coast bitterness. Batches 2 and 3 used the same grist but I tweaked the hops. I'm pretty happy with this grist. It works out to...

2-Row 76%
Flaked Oats 14%
Wheat 10%

Two things I changed from batch 1 to batch 2 that made the absolute biggest difference:
(1) FWH for bittering. I did a standard 60 minute charge for the first batch and it was just heavy heavy bittering, like a west coast. I switched to FWH and it smoothed out a lot of that bittering.
(2) Water calcs. In fact, NEIPAs are what forced me to finally get my water in check. People are all over the place on this, but I've found I personally like about a 2:1 chloride:sulfate ratio.

One final point...after the FWH for bittering, I don't do any hops until flameout or after. I just kegged the 3rd attempt and it is (so far) my best one yet. Just to give you an example, here's my hop schedule for it...

1 oz Nugget @FWH
1 oz Citra @FO
1 oz Mosaic @FO (I let the FO hops steep about 30 mins, temp down to ~180)
1 oz Citra @WP
3.5 oz Mosaic @WP (Whirlpooled for 30 minutes starting at 170, wort was at 140 when I finished whirlpooling)

3 oz Mosaic @DH1 (About 3 days into fermentation, just after high krausen)
3 oz Mosaic @DH2 (end of fermentation

1 oz Citra leaf @Keg hop

In total, I had 7.5 ounces of hops on the hot side, and 7 ounce on the cold side.

Forgot to mention, dry hopping early made a huge difference too. Also, FWIW, all three times I've done these I've used the F1 hybrid strain from that thread I linked above. Haven't even brewed with the F1/C4 yet. Lemme know if you want some of these yeasts and I can hook you up.

I am planning a trip to Alternative Beverage in CLT this Saturday to supply my inventory for this beer and a few others. I would like to ask a few questions tomorrow if you have time??

I am planning a trip to Alternative Beverage in CLT this Saturday to supply my inventory for this beer and a few others. I would like to ask a few questions tomorrow if you have time??
Yeah dude, hit me on email, you've got that. Just try and hit me up before Saturday. Or too late on Friday. Wedding is this weekend in AVL! So I'll be doing rehearsal stuff Friday and wedding Saturday.

Its a long (long!) read, but check out the Braufessor NE IPA thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

Post 1418 has a pretty good updated recipe too.

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with yeast choice among: WY1318 (crop topper), Conan (I prefer TYB strain) and WY1272, I've even heard of people/breweries using WY1098 as well.

Its a long (long!) read, but check out the Braufessor NE IPA thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with yeast choice among: WY1318 (crop topper), Conan (I prefer TYB strain) and WY1272, I've even heard of people/breweries using WY1098 as well.

Thanks for replying! In my quest for info, I am finding the same tidbits of information as you are currently sharing. Lance of Omega Labs suggests I try his OYL-052 Conan strain. Braufessor suggests to make a small beer with low hops with this yeast, then harvest the yeast cake to begin a series of second generation yeast cultures that seem to finish a bit lower than the first generation pitch. In fact I printed his post 1418 and it was 4 pages long! That is a serious read! I just drilled a whirlpool port in my Blichmann kettle yesterday, so I am ready to rock and roll on the NEIPA scene!!

Great info at post 1418. The only part I disagree with is the honey malt. I used honey malt in my first attempt at an NEIPA and wasn't thrilled with it. I think less is more when it comes to grists for NEIPAs. I've pretty much settled on 2-Row, Flaked Oats, Wheat. But I want to try basically doubling my oats next time just for the hell of it.

Great info at post 1418. The only part I disagree with is the honey malt. I used honey malt in my first attempt at an NEIPA and wasn't thrilled with it. I think less is more when it comes to grists for NEIPAs. I've pretty much settled on 2-Row, Flaked Oats, Wheat. But I want to try basically doubling my oats next time just for the hell of it.

I think it depends on the hops you're using/flavor profile you're targeting. For a juicy tropical fruit bomb, I find the extra bit of sweetness (we are talking about 2% of the grain bill) plays nicely. That is also why I like using more GP than 2-row in mine as well. I like the "glowing orange" color with these beers, and find that an SRM ~6.5 gets the job done. I use 2% C60 and 2% Honey Malt to get there.

Latest posts

Back