Conan Yeast for American Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torrefaction

Reaction score
Got my paws on some WLP095 Burlington Ale Yeast aka Conan / Vermont Ale. Any reason this wouldn't be awesome in an American Stout? I'm thinking dry, roasty and hoppy with Centennial/Chinook, around 70 IBUs.

FYI, not the strain you think it is... I believe that's rumored to be Magic Hat. But yes, using actual Conan in a stout would be great.

Ok, thanks. The yeast I have on hand is the WLP 095. Anyone used this yeast? Anyone tried it in a stout?

I have not but I have used conan in a stout and it was very interesting. It really played to the dark fruit flavors in the beer.

Seems like WLP095 is where Conan was sourced from, and it sounds like their characteristics are quite similar. Thanks for the input, Ruckusz. Considering I'm brewing this for/with a friend, I'll probably just play it safe and stick with WLP090 or WLP001, which have both proved reliably tasty in past American stouts. Cheers!

Back