Conan fermentation temp advice/experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks to the awesome joshjv here on the forums, I have a culture of Conan bubbling away nicely in a starter and I'm about to step it up to 1500 mLs either tonight or tomorrow morning to brew on Thursday afternoon.

Here's my question though - I really want to get those nice, peachy characteristics everyone raves about when it come to Conan. From what I've read those particulars are most apparent when it's fermented on the lower end around 60-62 F. However, I've never used this yeast before though I've heard it's pretty attenuative. My question is, should I start this baby off for a day or so at around 68F and then by the second day of primary just toss it down in my basement at 60-62 F and leave it like that for the next week or so before bringing it back upstairs to 68 to finish up? I want those desirables, but then again I don't want the yeast to lose its steam too quickly and not finish up where I want it, i.e. stunt its growth too much in the beginning.

Like I said, never used this yeast before so anyone with any firsthand experience or advice is appreciated!

Back