Completely Lost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galdor

Reaction score
I am really new to the Home Brew scene and I think I may be in over my head. Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I chose the section I drink the most of. Right now, I'm just trying to make something that's consumable, no matter the type. I have a 3 gallon jug I rigged up with a home airlock (Nylon Barb, fish tubing, and a spaghetti jar). I tried a batch with five pounds of sugar, 1.5 pounds of brown sugar, a pack of Walmart yeast, and a lot of water. Let's just say, after the bubbles stopped, and I filtered it through some coffee filters, chilled and took a swig, I almost threw up. It was just nasty. Maybe I should have done some research first, but I got the idea and it just took off. Can anyone share just the basics, and a recipe for anything simple. Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance to brewing haha.

Check out the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe. It's a very easy to make, tasty recipe that can be made with ingredients found in the home (or grocery store). This Welch's Grape Juice Wine recipe is another good one for beginners.

One thing I will say is be patient. Whatever you decide to make, giving it some time and not rushing it will always yield a better end product. And I can't emphasize the importance of proper sanitation enough either.

And no, fermenting white and brown sugar with bread yeast is never going to make anything but prison hooch. ;)

This recipe seems tasty and cheap! I'll have to try her out. Thank you for the information, but one thing eluded me. When you "age" it, do you just leave it in the Jug? The only time I ever made alcohol was this terrible concoction of pineapple, ketchup, and old kitchen yeast when I was 16. Made a couple gallons and sold it at a party mixed with coke ( not even sure if it was alcohol) so I've never really aged anything.

This recipe seems tasty and cheap! I'll have to try her out. Thank you for the information, but one thing eluded me. When you "age" it, do you just leave it in the Jug? The only time I ever made alcohol was this terrible concoction of pineapple, ketchup, and old kitchen yeast when I was 16. Made a couple gallons and sold it at a party mixed with coke ( not even sure if it was alcohol) so I've never really aged anything.

Ah dear Galdor, someday, maybe five or six years from now when you are an HBT moderator, we simply MUST come back and revisit this thread!! :D

When you "age" it, do you just leave it in the Jug?

You can leave it in the jug, but if you are going to be aging it for an extended period of time (and I recommend that you do), I would wait until all the yeast has settled out to the bottom (once the fermented juice is clear enough to read through) and gently transfer it using a sanitized siphon to another jug to age. It's not absolutely necessary though.

Haha we will do that! And random question but, I was doing some research, and was "MUST" a pun to the apfelwein? Haha

Thank you, and when I age it do I keep it air locked or no? I mean with the airlock not like a seal or anything.

Hahahahahaha, that sounds awful. Why the ketchup? The pineapple alone would have been better than pineapple and ketchup! :cross:

Thank you, and when I age it do I keep it air locked or no? I mean with the airlock not like a seal or anything.

You'll want to use an airlock as long as there is any kind of fermentation happening. Once fermentation has ended, you are safe to replace it with a lid.... but not too soon, or KABOOM.

You can just leave the airlock in while you age it, but you have to make sure the airlock never runs dry. Check it frequently and top it off with vodka every once in a while.

Here's another good, easy recipe for beginners -- Caramel Apple Cider Really easy -- just some store-bought (only preserved with vitamin C) apple juice/cider, some sugar and some brewers yeast to get it started, then make a simple syrup of water, brown sugar and cinnamon (or cinnamon extract) to flavor, and add some frozen apple juice concentrate for back-sweetening.

PS -- see post #420 for the most up-to-date instructions. I personally use cinnamon extract and I use 2-3 teaspoons, which is way more than the recipe calls for but everyone loves it. :)

Cousin got out of jail and said the mixed ketchup packets, yeast from the kitchen, peach cups and a ziplock back. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

I plan on leaving the airlock on ( it was cheap and homemade, plus I don't want any explosions). Some one once told me hand sanitize works well but I feel like suck back would make it taste gross, but that's just me. Thank you for the advice! One last question though. Is this like cooking or baking? Or more specifically, can I just double ingredients for a double batch or no? I'll just start with the 5 gallon to test, but if it works I want more haha

Thanks for the recipe man, I'll look into it. Sounds delicious! One thing I'm confused on is how to flavor and back sweeten brews. Got a thread for me haha

I plan on leaving the airlock on ( it was cheap and homemade, plus I don't want any explosions). Some one once told me hand sanitize works well but I feel like suck back would make it taste gross, but that's just me.

Don't use anything you're not comfortable with getting sucked back in there. Cheap vodka works like a champ.

One last question though. Is this like cooking or baking? Or more specifically, can I just double ingredients for a double batch or no? I'll just start with the 5 gallon to test, but if it works I want more haha

Most ingredients (juice, sugar, yeast, etc) scale pretty linearly. Use 1/2 the ingredients for a half batch, twice as much for a double batch, etc. However sometimes certain spices, etc might not scale well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My kids pour it directly from the 5 gal carboy. It only ferments 2-3 weeks. I like the version using a bit of malt extract and beer yeast. Better apple taste and you wake up with your clothes still on!

Thanks a lot man, you've been really helpful. Unfortunately you brought another question ( if I have not reached my limit). How does one flavor a brew like Apfelwein? Or really any brew for that matter.

Thanks for the information, where can I find malt extract?

Thanks a lot man, you've been really helpful. Unfortunately you brought another question ( if I have not reached my limit). How does one flavor a brew like Apfelwein? Or really any brew for that matter.

Personally I don't. I just follow the recipe as-is.

Some people might add spices (ex. Cinnamon complements apple-based drinks pretty well).

You could neutralize the yeast after fermentation is complete and add some extra apple juice concentrate to increase sweetness and apple flavor (or any other fruit juice concentrate, for that matter if you wanted a cranberry-apple flavored drink, for example).

Or you could siphon the cider onto some fruit after primary fermentation (blueberries, strawberries, whatever).

Trial and error is part of the fun ( but hopefully not too much error).

Thanks for the information, where can I find malt extract?

At your local homebrew shop, or if you don't have one in your town, an online homebrew shop (Austin homebrew, northern brewer, Midwest supplies, just to name a few).

Sometimes grocery stores or specialty cooking stores might carry some, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hunter, you are being real helpful and I appreciate that. My plan right now is to make up a batch, and let it age for a month or two. Then try some. If it's good I'll keep it as is, if not, I feel like adding in some cherry or cranberry would be delicious. Like you said though trial and error, so I heard a lot of talk about fermenting with a few cinnamon sticks in there, or some other apple juices. Maybe Granny Smith would make a tart drink. I don't know but we will find out!

You're not likely to get tartness out of plain apple juice / cider. More apple juice will just have the sugar eaten by the yeast. If you want tart, you might try adding cranberry or some other acidic juice after it's fermented.
If you don't mind still cider / apfelwine, you can use Postassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfate to kill the yeast after you're done fermenting and then you can add frozen apple juice concentrate to back-sweeten and flavor or add cinnamon sticks / extract, or other spices while it ages for a few weeks.

I've done some experiments using sugar and welches grape juice and the apple juice that walmart sells....you can make alcohol that way, but its pretty nasty stuff.
If you want something decent, you can get a 3 -4 gallon stockpot for like $20, a mesh bag from the home brew store for $5 and you can start brewing real batches of beer with the carboy you have.
You can get a drinkable beer in 3 weeks and it wont have the nasty alcohol taste you get from using table sugar. Use dry yeast made for brewing, you can use 1/2 pack, just duct tape the pkg closed and put it in a jar in the fridge for your next batch. To be really cheap you can re use the yeast from a previous batch. The kind of yeast and the temperature you keep your carboy while its fermenting are important to having good flavor.
I work in a prison and the inmates make homemade wine out of oranges, grapefruits and sugar they steal from the kitchen. The state gives them almost everything they need to make their wine.
The only yeast available to them is what is in the air. They make
plenty of alcohol and sometimes get really drunk. The stuff smells
terrible and I wouldn't want to taste it.
So you can make an alcoholic drink out of almost anything, but why would you want to put effort into making something nasty?
Just my 2 cents, get a cheap pot and a bag and some grain and hops and start brewing the good stuff. If its not too hoppy, you can do it for maybe $2-4 a gallon or maybe less. You can't get good apple juice for that.
Maybe someone could put the absolute cheapest
all grain recipe they can think of on here?

watch out for cheap aluminum pots, they could leave your brews tasting metallic. spend a little more money and get a stainless steel pot and just start with extract brews. We all have to start somewhere and those are the easiest to follow and master. once you want to step it up go to BIAB.

and that airlock you home made...toss it, buy a real airlock for a $1.50. or just tubing and always just use a blow off.

watch out for cheap aluminum pots, they could leave your brews tasting metallic. spend a little more money and get a stainless steel pot and just start with extract brews. We all have to start somewhere and those are the easiest to follow and master. once you want to step it up go to BIAB.

and that airlock you home made...toss it, buy a real airlock for a $1.50. or just tubing and always just use a blow off.

As long as you boil water to get the dark colored passivation layer on an aluminum pot before you brew with it you won't have to worry about any off flavors coming from it. I love my aluminum pot, it was half the price of the stainless pot I was eyeing. Now that money can be spent on ingredients!

As long as you boil water to get the dark colored passivation layer on an aluminum pot before you brew with it you won't have to worry about any off flavors coming from it. I love my aluminum pot, it was half the price of the stainless pot I was eyeing. Now that money can be spent on ingredients!

I stand corrected! could of saved me some money there!!

"and that airlock you home made...toss it, buy a real airlock for a $1.50. or just tubing and always just use a blow off."... But it's my baby, I spent a lot of time and hot-glue gun ammo to make her. Plus she fits my jug perfectly now. I understand the desire to have quality parts but this is the one thing I want to keep. Thanks a lot though for the pot information! I'll look into a good pot.

Hello anyone following this post! I just wanted to share a little update. I have been modifying my rig a little so that I can make the recipe I chose (Edworts Apfelwein). I am thinking about investing in a larger jug, but only after I try a 3-gallon batch first. There is a nice home-brew shop only 15 minutes from work, so hopefully the Yeast needed will be here soon. Thinking about aging the first batch then bottling it and age as it goes kind of thing. Luckily there will be plenty of time during fermentation to research aging and bottle some more!

Bottling is a PITA! I bottled one batch of cider and only bottle and occasional bottle of brew from my picnic tap and bottle filler combo (bottle filler wand fits right inside the picnic tap snugly!)

Bottling is a PITA! I bottled one batch of cider and only bottle and occasional bottle of brew from my picnic tap and bottle filler combo (bottle filler wand fits right inside the picnic tap snugly!)

Oh no! Is it really difficult or something? I don't really know what to do if not bottle it. Perhaps just let it age in a jug and pour as needed?

Oh no! Is it really difficult or something? I don't really know what to do if not bottle it. Perhaps just let it age in a jug and pour as needed?

LOL Bottling is not all THAT bad. It's just us lazy people (I'm looking at you, Newsman :mug:) prefer kegging because we don't have to scrub and wash all those bottles every time.

I started out bottling, and still do it every now and then. It's very simple, really, just a bit time-consuming. But it's really the best route for beginners, unless you have the cash to drop on a kegging system.

Bottling would be much better than pouring as-needed from a jug, as the beverage will oxidize after a few days otherwise.

I was just reading about this guy who put his stuff in bottles, and something about boiling to seal them! Is that really a thing? I just figured like siphon it into a wine bottle with a cork!

I was just reading about this guy who put his stuff in bottles, and something about boiling to seal them! Is that really a thing? I just figured like siphon it into a wine bottle with a cork!

Not necessary to boil anything.

I prefer to recycle old 12oz beer bottles (pry-off only) and use a cheap (~$15) capper. Easier and cheaper than using wine bottles/corks/corkers imho.

I wonder if the "boiling" didn't refer to stovetop pasteurizing?

Haha, the guy just sent a follow up Email to me. Originally it said "After filling and corking bottle, it's a necessity to boil it in a water/sulfite solution" the follow up said, "Sorry about this but when I said after it was wrong. Should have said before. It's a sterilizing thing". Sorry I got excited and asked you guys before I asked him.

Please read http://howtobrew.com/intro.html and then come back and ask questions. It's much easier to help someone after there is a common language or basis for understanding.

Thanks for the link man, I started reading it. I don't doubt that it has a lot of great information, but learning from reading was never really my strong suite. Prefer to learn tactics, try them, and learn as I go. Sorry if this messes up the forums, I'll stop asking so many questions.

Thanks for the link man, I started reading it. I don't doubt that it has a lot of great information, but learning from reading was never really my strong suite. Prefer to learn tactics, try them, and learn as I go. Sorry if this messes up the forums, I'll stop asking so many questions.

It doesn't mess up the forum but the questions you're asking are usually answered in the first 10 pages of any Intro to Brewing book. Getting a firm understanding of the processes needed to make something that doesn't taste like satan's anus is always a plus.

It doesn't mess up the forum but the questions you're asking are usually answered in the first 10 pages of any Intro to Brewing book. Getting a firm understanding of the processes needed to make something that doesn't taste like satan's anus is always a plus.

I like the way you put that. Maybe I should try to improve my reading past a fifth grade level.

Back