Competition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemperFermentis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm curious, according to the BJCP is it considered 'bad form' or out of the style to submit a wood aged beer as a regular style? For example, if you have a bourbon Oaked Russian Imperial Stout can that be submitted as a "13F: Russian Imperial Stout', or is it more preferable to submit that as a '22C: Wood Aged Beer'.

I'm asking due to the fact that I can only submit one beer per subcategory in an upcoming competition and this will limit my submissions if I can't do something like this.

It's not "bad form", but since the beer will be judged strictly according to style guidelines, it would do very poorly in the "13F" style because 13F doesn't have oak or OR bourbon in it. If the oak or bourbon are discernible, than it needs to go into 22C.

It's not "bad form", but since the beer will be judged strictly according to style guidelines, it would do very poorly in the "13F" style because 13F doesn't have oak or OR bourbon in it. If the oak or bourbon are discernible, than it needs to go into 22C.

Thank you Mr. Yooper!

I assumed that was probably the case, however I really had no idea. Big fan of what you're doing here sir.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I just looked beyond the photo and the 'handsome' quote and realized that I'm a dummy.

Ms. Yooper, I'm a *******. Sorry...:(

You're not a *******! My avatar IS a guy- Red Green. One of his signature quotes is "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." But he's not a bad looking guy, and that whole quote wouldn't fit. :D

Back