Competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
I'm new to competitions (3 so far).

I entered a Saison, the score sheets come back and both of them refer to the color being "copper" or "amber"

image-3376968095.jpg

It's the one on the far left.

How likely is it that the beers were mislabeled?

Cranny04 said:
I'm new to competitions (3 so far).

I entered a Saison, the score sheets come back and both of them refer to the color being "copper" or "amber"

It's the one on the far left.

How likely is it that the beers were mislabeled?

The one on the left is definitely not amber or copper and you submitted them with the label unless the comp stewards screwed up then perhaps you suited the wrong beer with the correct labels...?

duboman said:
The one on the left is definitely not amber or copper and you submitted them with the label unless the comp stewards screwed up then perhaps you suited the wrong beer with the correct labels...?

The score sheets still talked about a belgian beer. None of my other beers are remotely belgian.

It could have gotten mixed up with someone else's entry. I entered an IPA in a comp last year. It was kind of a cross between an English and American IPA so I was expecting to get dinged a little (English malts, American hops). When my scoresheet came it indicated there was no hop aroma or flavor and that it was more like a Scotch Ale. I figured there was probably a guy out there somewhere that checked his scoresheet for his Scotch Ale and was pissed that the comments said it was more like an IPA.

If you know for a fact you sent the correct beer labeled correctly, and all the judges say the same thing, then yeah, I'd say it's possible the comp steward screwed up and mixed up the entries.

If possible, you could contact the comp organizer, explaining that you think that may have happened. Perhaps someone who mistakenly got notes for your beer did the same, and while that may not affect the scoring, at least you could get feedback for your own beer and not someone else's.

Back