Compact fridge recommendations for future kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbergg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought the components for a corny kegging system and will be purchasing a compact fridge for it soon. I do not have plans to turn this into a kegerator immediately, but would like the ability to do it in the future. I have seen a few guides out there that either use Sanyo or Danby models. I have a Lowe's gift certificate still from christmas that I haven't used, so I thought a mini fridge would be a good way to take a chunk out of it. The only problem is that Lowe's appears to only offer Frigidaire and GE models without freezers. Will these be just as convertible, or should I just get a Sanyo or Danby to simplify the process?

You need about 28.5" of height for a standard cornelius keg, and the quick disconnects, plus the beer/gas line coming off the connects.

If your fridge has a freezer compartment, that is the 'problem' area. you have to bend that freezer shelf out of the way, without damaging any of the cooling lines...or you toast the whole fridge.

If you are not really handy, stick with the Sanyo, or get a freezer and temp controller. chest freezers work better/are cheaper than a frostless upright.

Oh, I would get a freezer in a second if I had the space. Unfortunately only a mini-fridge will do since my home is so tiny.

Ok, so I found out that Lowes sells chest freezers in a ton of different sizes. The space I have in my laundry room has an opening with 27" of depth and about 38" of width. It appears that I actually have some options in this range. Will any chest freezer do, or are there some qualities I should look for in one?

Back