Commercial beers, cloudy chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushdan

Reaction score
Has anyone encountered commercial beers (from the bottle) that have clear/white cloudy chunks floating in them?

I recently had this happen with a Smuttynose Big A IPA and have had it happen in the past with a Delirium Tremens. They taste fine and I end up drinking them but I'm obviously curious if there is anything to worry about here. I meant to post a pic but they're gone...

Just some yeast floating around. Very common with Delirium Tremens. Nothing to worry about at all.

Has anyone encountered commercial beers (from the bottle) that have clear/white cloudy chunks floating in them?

I recently had this happen with a Smuttynose Big A IPA and have had it happen in the past with a Delirium Tremens. They taste fine and I end up drinking them but I'm obviously curious if there is anything to worry about here. I meant to post a pic but they're gone...

Blue Moon can have white chunks. I believe it is just wheat that has not been filtered out.

I just found this, it seems a little more probably than yeast based on how it looked:

Floaties - These are chunks of solid matter floating in your beer. Never a pretty sight. But not always bad. There are two types of floaties. The first are big blobs of protein. These look ghastly. They are essentially harmless, though. I know it doesn’t look that way and you probably agree. In the 1970’s, enough people decided that the floaties in Schlitz were such a problem that the brand took a precipitous slide from #2 beer in the US to a regional novelty. I mean, floaties killed an absolute juggernaut. But deep down, they aren’t unhealthy.

I'll assume they're protein from now on

Oh wow, the title reminds me of an experience from back in college....

Since we were broke students my friends and I used to drink malt liquor on a pretty regular basis. So one day I opt for some Colt 45 to try for the first time (it was on sale for something like $1.50 for a 40 oz), crack it open, take a swig, and cringe at the nasty aftertaste. As I'm putting it down on the table I notice that the beer looked like eggdrop soup. All these nice sized chunks of white stuff floating around. Of course, my friends all gave me a good trashing about what it was that I possibly drank.

Needless to say, I dumped it. If I recall correctly, that also put an end to my malt liquor days as a whole. Figured I'd just start "splurging" on Keystone.

Since we were broke students my friends and I used to drink malt liquor on a pretty regular basis. So one day I opt for some Colt 45 to try for the first time (it was on sale for something like $1.50 for a 40 oz), crack it open, take a swig, and cringe at the nasty aftertaste. As I'm putting it down on the table I notice that the beer looked like eggdrop soup. All these nice sized chunks of white stuff floating around. Of course, my friends all gave me a good trashing about what it was that I possibly drank.

Needless to say, I dumped it. If I recall correctly, that also put an end to my malt liquor days as a whole. Figured I'd just start "splurging" on Keystone.

Well, I have to say that it is very unlikely that there was yeast in your Colt 45. Who knows what the hell happened to that thing.

Well, I have to say that it is very unlikely that there was yeast in your Colt 45. Who knows what the hell happened to that thing.

I remember thinking "should I gag myself? I have no idea what I just ingested", but decided to just hang in there. Obviously I turned out fine....and this extra arm is actually quite handy now that I'm used to it.

So... what you are trying to tell us is that you were a 'swallower' in college?

Back