What Causes Hazy Beer To Be Clear Occasionally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had this happen a couple of times. This is an IPA extract kit from Craft-A-Brew. I brewed it a few times over the last year before moving onto BIAB. The first time this happened I thought it was just a one off and didn't really take much notice, but now this has happened a second time. The beer on the left (hazy) is how the beer normally looks, but the clear beer on the right is the one-off (from same batch). Over the past year I have probably made 200 bottles of this beer and just two bottles have been totally clear. Beer tastes fine by the way. What might cause this?

20220218_183347.jpg

Yeahhh, all sorts of possibilities. First one being oxidation, maybe some bottles got more o2 exposure. I had a similar question as to why a neipa dropped clear on me a month or 2 ago, flavor was still good, no signs of oxidation and I keg and close transfer everything. Never really came to a conclusion, haven't had it happen in any of my other hazies. Who knows. It was still good so I just drank it and called it an ipa hahaha.

:p 200 bottles and only 2 came out correctly!

Sorry, I have nothing useful to say. I've not grown accustomed to hazy anything yet. I know it frequently tastes just as good or better.

I am interested in what any that know about it can say.

Interesting. So these glasses are from the exact same batch of beer? Do you notice a difference in taste between the two glasses?

Over on the NEIPA recipe thread there were a few people that reported after moving a keg, it started to drop clear. Some speculation was that some large proteins were put back in suspension and as those large particles settled, they pulled out smaller particles. Was there any difference in handling of your bottles? Could it be that the clear one had gotten knocked over or shaken up at some point?

So these glasses are from the exact same batch of beer? Do you notice a difference in taste between the two glasses?
Yes from the same batches both times it happened. Clear beer perhaps tastes very slightly more bitter, but no off smells or tastes.
Could it be that the clear one had gotten knocked over or shaken up at some point?
Anything is possible after a few of them.......

Back