Comedy of F-ups - how bad did I screw up??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
Well today was not a great brewing day. I got a late start which threw off my whole rhythm. I made an IPA and my Blue Moon (BM) Clone. The first f-up was I got 4 3.3lb cans of LME, 2 wheat and 2 regular. I spaced which pot was which for a second and dumped the first can of wheat into the IPA pot. Crap. No biggie I guess so I put one can of the regular into the BM and one can of wheat. So now both pots had one of each pan. Not a biggie for the BM since the wheat LME has the regular in it anyway.

So now comes hop time addition. This is where it gets interesting! I added the 1oz of warrior to the BM by mistake and 2oz of styrian golding to the IPA. Double crap! They both have 3 oz of hops total so I HAVE to add the Amarillo to the BM as I don't have any more hops and I don't want to add too little hops. So I did that but did put the correct Tettnanger to the BM. When I was just about done, I remembered I had 2 oz of leaf Amarillo in the freezer! Woo Hoo so I added that to the IPA at flameout.

OK now both are done and I am cooling them down via my new, handy dandy wort chiller and get the volume and temp correct with the BM and take the hydro reading - 1.064. Sweet! Just where I want it. I go through the same thing with the IPA and WTF? It is just barely 1.040?? Not sure wtf is going on with that but I remembered I had some corn sugar so I get that out and dump it all in. I though it was about 2 lbs. Well it ended up raising the gravity to 1.080 in the IPA. Christ! Oh well, never made a beer this big.

So anyway, I guess I'll know in about 3-4 weeks how these came out. I think the BM will be ok. But I don't know about the IPA with a 1.080 OG.

What says everyone?

RDWHAHB

They might be weird, but they'll be beer. Maybe you've hit gold and you don't even know it.

the BM clone won't really be a clone anymore but should still be a really good beer and for the IPA I would recommend tasting it after a couple weeks of fermentation and if need be add more hops, continue to do this for a couple weeks until it reaches something you would like to drink. Don't fear strong beers, you can always add more hops before kegging or bottling.

the BM clone won't really be a clone anymore but should still be a really good beer and for the IPA I would recommend tasting it after a couple weeks of fermentation and if need be add more hops, continue to do this for a couple weeks until it reaches something you would like to drink. Don't fear strong beers, you can always add more hops before kegging or bottling.

The IPA ended up getting 5oz of hops total usually it gets 3. So I think it has enough hops. It just got a little different hops then it normally gets. Usually a high alpha early in the boil but got a low one instead.

I won't be making any changes and I'll see what happens in a few weeks. I am sure the BM Clone will be fine. The IPA might be really good. We'll see! I'll post results of the taste test!

Latest posts

Back