Combining slurries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
I had twp cups of US-05 slurry from a Brown Ale and 2 cups of Nottingham slurry from a Porter in the fridge. 05 had been in there for a month. Notty 2 weeks. I poured of the little bit of beer off both mixed them together and pitched 3/4 into 3.25G of Brown IPA.

After a couple hours fermentation started, and after 8 hours there is strong action happening. So what if anything could happen from combining these two, fermenting @ 64F.

From what I've read they won't mix and combine a single strain. Eventually the stronger strain will overcome the other. Yeast cannot sexually reproduce without specialized equipment. I've also heard of low attenuation when mixing because of the weaker yeast not reproducing.

I've tried mixing a couple of yeast slurries and had good results. But both were pretty similar to begin with .

Wyeast London Ale #1028 and Whitbread Ale #1099

the combo made very good brew.

Just my two cents.

It will work just fine. They are both similar strains and have similar fermentation temp recommendations.They both will do their thing and make beer.

One strain will not kill the other, and they will both work.

Quote from the "Yeast" book.

“Many brewers eschew using multiple-strain fermentation, concerned that the strains will compete against each other and one will win out. Interestingly, most brewer’s yeast strains grow at a similar rate in beer fermentation, so competition is rarely a factor when mixing two or more strains.”

Excerpt From: White & Jamil Zainasheff. “Yeast.” Brewers Publications, 2010. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

I mix strains of yeast occasionally and have had great results. One taking over will only happen over several generations, but for the first time both yeasts will grow at similar rates. Even the big yeast companies sell blends of yeasts.

Well there you go. Glad he chimed in with that as I was always told differently. [emoji481]

Back