Combining lagering and force-carbonation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocwo92

Reaction score
I intend to bring some homebrew for a get-together with old school mates but I'm going to be slightly pressed for time with my current Schwarzbier. It will be lagering at a little below 32 °F for about a month but then I may have to start force-carbonating it in order to meet our schedule. Unfortunately that's a little on the short end in terms of lagering time.

I'll be keeping the beer at its lagering temperature while force-carbonating it, so I'm thinking: will the days under CO2 pressure count as lagering time, or does something happen during carbonization that stops the lagering process?

As long as the primary fermentation and rest is complete, the lagering step will get rid of a few trace components (sulfur) and allow the beer to clear to brilliant clarity. Carbonating after 4 weeks for a low to mid-strength schwarzbier should not affect this process. It should be fine.

That's my theory, too. And considering it's a schwarzbier, I suppose the clarity is a little less critical. It may be just a little green yet but not way too young.

Back