Combining Different Yeast Strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have a question about the potential benefits or problems of combining yeast strains. I am brewing a Graff/Apfelwein hybrid and have an idea. To 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider I am adding 2lbs brown sugar and a half gallon of Amber LME, and 1lb light DME.

Often times I use Montrachet yeast with my Edwort's Apfelwein since it attenuates well and I use US-05 with my Graff as it leaves some maltiness and residual sweetness.

I'm running a bit late and haven't had a chance to make a starter, so I thought I would just pitch two yeast packets. I have one Montrachet, and one US-05 in my fridge. Would I get the best of both worlds if I combined them? Or would I end up with something all together worse? Thanks!

You never know until you try

The results from mixing yeast depends highly on the amount of viable cells of each yeast pitched, the overall "aggressiveness" of each strain, and the temperatures at which you are fermenting at vs which each individual strain thrives

Go for it

Back