Combat Diacetyl right now??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
Sorry...I know this has been beat to death, but I couldn't find an exact answer. I have an IPA fermenting and it reeks of butter. I originally pitched a 1L starter of Wyeast Greenbelt of dubious quality (didn't look too viable). After 18 hours of no action, I rehydrated an 11gram pack of Safale s-04 and had fermentation about 6 hrs later. It's aggressively fermenting now @ 66 degrees. I'd like to save this beer if it's not too late. Should I pitch more yeast?...let it finish primary fermentation then bump-up the temp? Any help is appreciated.

I hope you're right. I have $35 worth of Simcoe and Amarillo hops in this batch, and all I can smell is overpowering "buttered popcorn". So just let it ride @ 66? To give the yeast every advantage, I'll give it 2 weeks unmolested, then dry-hop in the primary for another full week....no secondary. Thanks Denny.

I hope you're right. I have $35 worth of Simcoe and Amarillo hops in this batch, and all I can smell is overpowering "buttered popcorn". So just let it ride @ 66? To give the yeast every advantage, I'll give it 2 weeks unmolested, then dry-hop in the primary for another full week....no secondary. Thanks Denny.

Yep, 66 degrees is perfect for S04. Maybe in about 5 days, raise the temp up to 68 degrees to encourage the yeast to fully attenuate and also clean up any diacetyl.

Diacetyl is a natural by-product of yeast so it's not terribly unusual to have a noticeable diacetyl presence in some fermentations. That doesn't mean it will stay there, so don't worry. After fermentation is over, that'd be the time to fix it if needed.

The calendar doesn't make the schedule, the beer does. Two weeks might be fine, or it might not be enough.

How would I go about fixing it after fermentation....just in case. Thanks

2 ways. First, you can just leave it alone. Unless the diacetyl is caused by an infection, the yeast will clean it up. The reason you raise the temp for a diacetyl rest for a lager is to make the yeast more active so it removes the diacetyl. In an ale, you're already at the appropriate temp, so you just leave it on the yeast longer. You can also remove diacetyl from a finished beer by....adding a qt. or so of actively fermenting wort.

I plan on giving it AT LEAST 3 weeks in the primary carboy; just gonna wait 2 weeks or more before dry-hopping. But I'll trust the hydrometer before cold crashing. I really appreciate everyone's advice.

I have 6 gallons of Saison right now thats been sitting in the primary for 4 weeks and it still has an unpleasant level of Diacetyl. It's already 1.006 so there very little left to ferment (if anything at all) Not sure what to do? Do I let it go longer in primary, do i transfer to secondary and ride it out or do I add some fresh wort or sugar water to spark a little yeast activity to clean up whats left? All of this is of course assuming I don't have an infection.

What strain did you use for the saison and what temp did you ferment at?

WLP568 saison belgian blend. 2.5 liter starter. OG 1.050. Fermented at about 72-75. Ive used this strain a bunch with no issues.

I'm not home right now but that sounds like a big starter for a your OG. Was your starter with a stir bar? Do you think you might have over pitched? I would have to plug it in to beersmith to figure it out. I usually use the 3711 from wyeast I'm not that familiar with the white labs you used.

Maybe try giving your carboy a swirl to shake up some yeast? But I would leave it in the primary for now. Assuming it is the big D.

Latest posts

Back