Columbus/Topaz/Galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
Has anyone blended these hops? How about just Topaz and Columbus? I want to make a hop bomb with these with 15/10/5 and whirlpool additions. I'm looking at nearly 80 IBU without a bittering addition. Any input on this combo? Thanks guys.

I have with Galaxy and Columbus as I love both of these hops. It was glorious! I have not used Topaz at all I don't believe.

I'm doing a 15# MO IIPA on Saturday, but have 8 oz of Galaxy and 8 oz of Topaz.

I was planning on just a SMaSH with Galaxy, but then see that Topaz is a dual purpose, where Galaxy is typically used late. Might go with Topaz 60 min and the rest Galaxy. Any thoughts?

Topaz, dual purpose, 13.7-17.7% AA, Dry hopping produces resinous characteristics while tropical tones are found in higher gravity beers. Aroma - Resinous, grassy tones with light tropical flavors.

Galaxy, Aroma, 11-16% AA, Distinct citrus, peach and passion fruit flavors, Typically used as a late addition - the aroma and flavor characteristics become more pronounced the later the addition

I have worked with these hops quite a bit. In my experience Galaxy actually makes a unique and potent bittering hop. I would recommend trying it.

For an IIPA an ounce at 60 would do nicely.

Personally I would prefer either an all-Galaxy beer or a beer bittered with Galaxy with a combo of Topaz and Galaxy in the flavoring addition.

Whatever you decide, report back and let us know how it turns out!

awesome, thanks! That's the opposite of what I was expecting from the hops writeups. The Topaz doesn't sound too appealing for aroma - resinous and grass??

here's the recipe I was planning to follow (courtesy of Kirby from link above):

15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)

1.5 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 20 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
2.0 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

I really ended up likely the Topaz flavor addition. It has a lot of force to it. I found the flavor to be big citrus, though somewhat undefined. It's not clearly grapefruit, orange or lemon; rather some vague combination. It works great with a complimentary hop to give it a little more definition.

I've done Topaz and Galaxy. You may be happier finding a more "clean" or fruitier hop to replace Columbus. To me, columbus is a very "american" hop where it is on the citrus and herbal/dank side of things. Topaz and Galaxy are very solidly in the new world tropical fruit and berries part of the hop spectrum. If you don;t have any other AU/NZ hops, maybe you could use something like Amarillo/Citra/Mosiac?

My favorite IPA so far was a Rye IPA with Galaxy, Stella, and Topaz

Edit:whoops I didn;t see you made this already. At least you liked it

I went light on the columbus. Next up is a remake, swapping out the Columbus for some EKG. We'll see how that works out.

Latest posts

Back