Color during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahaga

Reaction score
Im in day three of my first 5 gallon batch having upgraded from the little Mr.Beer 2 gallon kegs. I chose the brewers best brown ale kit and followed the instructions to a t. I cooked my wort in an ice bath and mixed with clean cold water and pitched the yeast when the temp was around 73 and it sits in a room at a constant 68 with fermentation temps at 71 in the glass carboy. Last night was the second night fermenting so about 48 hours in and the color completely changed. It was a pretty deep brown and it lightened significantly overnight. Is this normal?

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

If you shine a bright flashlight on your fermenting carboy you'll see little tiny bubbles rising to the top. Don't shine light very long as light can ruin your beer. After about 10 days or so your beer will get darker in color. Btw, brown ale is what I brew the most.....great stuff.

If you shine a bright flashlight on your fermenting carboy you'll see little tiny bubbles rising to the top. Don't shine light very long as light can ruin your beer. After about 10 days or so your beer will get darker in color. Btw, brown ale is what I brew the most.....great stuff.

You would have to shine that flashlight a long time to ruin beer as it take UV light to do that.

I cooked my wort in an ice bath and mixed with clean cold water and pitched the yeast when the temp was around 73 and it sits in a room at a constant 68 with fermentation temps at 71 in the glass carboy.

For your next batch, try to get the temperature lower before pitching the yeast and control the temp of the fermenting beer. With the temperature that warm you are likely to get some "fusel alcohol" and some off flavors from the yeast. Most ale yeasts prefer temperatures in the low to mid 60's. A tub of water to set your fermenter in and some bottles of frozen water to drop in will help a lot. The beer only needs that for 4 or 5 days and after that you can let it warm to room temp.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Yep! Looks perfectly normal man. The Amber ale I just brewed looked exactly like that, just give it some time! :rockin:

Back