coleman extreme 70qt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mordantly

Reaction score
Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never t
That's what I'm using. 4 batches so far in it and it works great. I'm using a pretty basic setup. Sourced all the fittings from Lowes and am using a stainless braid. No pics of the connections on the inside though. If I remember I'll take a pic or two when I get home from work tonight.

I am using this cooler with a copper manifold. It works great, but I am not seeing a drop in efficiency as compared with my 5 gallon Igloo beverage cooler with SS braid manifold.

Drain is centered in one end in a recess that is slightly below the rest of the bottom of the cooler.

My father and I both use this cooler. We've used them for 5 and 10 gallon batches. I use a loop shaped manifold (we made it before realizing I didn't need it for batch sparging), and my father uses a single line of copper down the center. I have noticed the insides starting to warp/bubble up in one spot, but otherwise it can hold temperatures within 2 degrees over 90 minutes.

I think for smaller grain bills (5 gallon batches), it is important to pre heat the tun as well as you can. I usually get a couple of gallons of water heating up first while I get the rest of my stuff together. Once it gets in the 170s (or higher, it depends on my frame of mind and organization that morning) and dump it in the cooler while I go crush my grains. I then drain that water back into my kettle to get to the right mash temps and then start my dough in.

I have noticed that there seems to be a difference in the feel of how mine closes compared to the one my Dad has, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in usage. The spigot is on the side and is center. I forget the amount of dead space, but it is less than a liter (I think it was in the 2 cup range, but I forget).

I ordered mine via Walmart's Site To Store option as my local store didn't have it in stock.

well, i am guilty of not using the search feature of the site.. does anyone use a ss braid with more than 14# grain? it seems i will have to do something else for 10g batches... for now, i will put some 316 mesh in/around the drain. i only need to run a 10g and a 5g through it. (i have ZERO beer in stock). oh and single step/batch sparge all the way for me.

Mashtun_001.JPG

Mashtun_002.JPG

Mashtun_004.JPG

Mashtun_005.JPG

well, i am guilty of not using the search feature of the site.. does anyone use a ss braid with more than 14# grain? it seems i will have to do something else for 10g batches... for now, i will put some 316 mesh in/around the drain. i only need to run a 10g and a 5g through it. (i have ZERO beer in stock). oh and single step/batch sparge all the way for me.

I use the 70qt extreme with a SS braid. Almost all of my batches are over 14lbs of grain and I've yet to have a problem with crushing. I want to say the max I've done so far it around 30lbs. My problem isn't with grain crushing the braid but me smacking it around when I stir the mash.

Im using the same cooler with a copper manifold. Its good for doing batches that have heavy grain bills but I dont like the amount I have to vorlauf when doing batches with 10-12 lbs of grain before the wort runs clear.

I got mine for 29.99 at Target when they were clearancing the sporting goods to make room for winter items.

I haven't finished my keggle yet, so I'm still doing 5 gal batches in mine. I did a big IIPA with a 18.5# grain bill and had no problem with my stainless braid. I took a stainless wire and wrapped it into a coil that fit inside the braid to prevent crushing though.

I use a 100qt and hated the braid. I ended using a hot water heater braid and put a 1/2" pc of copper in the inside to hold it in place. Drilled a bazillion 1/4" holes in it. Works great now, but I just got me a 150qt for my new stand. Going to a copper manifold in it. The Extreme does hold temps really well, even outside in the freezing winter here.

I've got this cooler. Works just fine. I get slightly better eff with my 10G MLT, but that one is a little small. I still get ~80% eff with this cooler though. Holds temps fine. My braid sometimes gets crushed if I use >30 lbs of grain. I need to remedy that.

How about lining the SS braid with a spring? Still allows the flow benefits of the braid but adds some support against crushing?

How about lining the SS braid with a spring? Still allows the flow benefits of the braid but adds some support against crushing?

Yeah, that's my plan. I just ordered some SS springs from McMaster Carr about two minutes ago. ;) It should work like a charm. :mug:

Thanks for post, I learned something I never thought of....my manifold is probably getting pressed down with the 21 lbs of dry grain, duh? I am always putting a hose to valve and blowing backwards to get it to flow again, only to have it run very slow a minute later. I am going to put some small legs (like the flat side of a washer to hold it off the floor of the cooler.;)

I used the gaskets that came with the cooler. It fits snugly around a 1/2" nipple. I connected a 1/2" ball valve on one side and a 1/2" copper fitting to the other and connected the CPVC manifold right up to it. No Problems.

so i got a stainless bulkhead and screen coming from bargain fittings. ill put tome stainless or copper tubing inside the screen to keep it stiff.

so does anyone still have the lid catch on the cooler? i'm thinking of cutting it off, since the lid has a rather tight fit as-is. even if i ever use this thing camping, i won't have to worry about bears or raccoons being thwarted, it will be in a vehicle.

... ill put tome stainless or copper tubing inside the screen to keep it stiff.

IMHO the best thing to put inside a braid is nothing...but if you feel compelled, be sure that whatever is inside cannot impede the flow! A drilled tube inside a braid can hamper the flow unless it is considerably smaller than the braid. Of course...YMMV

so i got a stainless bulkhead and screen coming from bargain fittings. ill put tome stainless or copper tubing inside the screen to keep it stiff.

so does anyone still have the lid catch on the cooler? i'm thinking of cutting it off, since the lid has a rather tight fit as-is. even if i ever use this thing camping, i won't have to worry about bears or raccoons being thwarted, it will be in a vehicle.

Lid catch on an Extreme? Mine doesn't have any type of latch. I wouldn't remove the latch if it were me. It will help the cooler keep its shape when you max it out with a large grain bill. I have trouble with mine bowing out at the top when full. I wish I had some type of latch. I have a little different opinion on the braid. I like it a lot better with my pipe on the inside of it. Doesn't move around and I feel I have a better flow with it. I brew mostly large batches and I think the pipe really helps. It was a total PITA to drill all the holes to make sure the flow was not hampered in any way.

i filled it up with water to the top yesterday to test for leaks, which i found one of. the lid has a raised area the catches on a pocket in the wall. i think i will leave it, even though there was no deformation with 65qt of water in it. here is my bargainfittings bulkhead ans screen. it's hard to see, but i had to make an aluminum spacer for the outside, as i used a 2" nipple. i'm using a full-port all-stainless valve... and need to get a .5 barb x .5 fnpt to shorten up the setup a little bit more. and it is a little wiggly, but i believe leak-free now. the plastic flexes, so i need to make a large plate on the outside to spread the load out more.

0220000958.jpg

0220000958a.jpg

0220000958b.jpg

I just got one of these at my local Walmart for $30. It was strange though it wasn't with the rest of the coolers but up on some top shelf with no price back by the auto parts.

I just posted this in another thread, I bumped into one at Target in Janesville today, and it was clearanced at $22. The 100 was $32. I grabbed them both, and didn't see any other ones on the shelves.

Back