New 70qt Coleman mash tun ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWalli3

Reaction score
trying to make a mash tun out of the new Coleman 70qt cooler but seems that the spigot is higher than the drain channel I’m I sol on my manifold it looks like it’s gonna be and 1” high off the floor...trying to do an all copper manifold....should start looking for a different cooler with a better bottom drain channel and spigot

Does this help? It drains quite well, even though the outlet is higher than the manifold.
20180424_084815.jpeg

I made two mash tuns out of blue/Coleman wheeled coolers (70 or 75 quart), built PVC manifolds and they flow great, even with the drain higher than the manifold.

Your copper work likes awesome! Good luck.

I just tilt the cooler to get the last few ounces. And it is just ounces, the wet grain seems to keep the siphon going quite well.

Ok cool yea the picture def helps out I’ll
Post pics up once I’m done with the manifold.....I just finished up my counterflow chiller the other day
IMG_3812.jpg

What’s the small metal thing sticking in on the left side of the picture?
That's the probe for a thermometer. I drilled a pilot hole through both walls, then used a hole saw to cut through the outer wall, and a smaller hole through the inner. Dug out the insullation and it mounted flush into the end of the cooler. It's not the best location, but keeps it out of the way of the mash paddle. I underlet water through the manifold, so I don't have to do a lot of stirring anyway. Doughballs just don't seem to happen.

Back