new 30g boilermaker.. advice needed on 20g MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
So, I had been running a coleman extreme cooler with a 20 gallon HLT and BK. My cooler got a little too close to the flame last week and doesn't seal as well now so I talked myself into going stainless. Then I talked myself into looking at a larger BK since that was my limiting factor in going to 15 gallon batches.. Then I found a 30 gallon boilermaker G1 with hopblocker for sale for 500CAD (a deal in our market) :ban:

So, I have a relatively wide diameter 20 gallon former BK pot with one drain spigot that I am planning on using as a MLT. I blew my budget on the boilermaker, so I am looking at the cheapest effective interim solution to holding temperature in the MLT. Will a couple or few layers of relfectix hold temperatures in the MLT within a degree or two at 40 degrees F? Or, should I plan on having a removable jacket and go buy an additional small burner for emergencies?

I know the best answer is "just go to rims or herms" but I can't afford to do that right away and I need to do more research regarding where I am going with this system (although I do currently have one march pump and several of the 12v pumps around somewhere) - I will probably want to upgrade my 17 g plastic conicals before investing in RIMS.

Cheers!

Back