Cold Steeping smoked malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I'm making a large baltic porter that I'm placing to do a partygyle off of. For the partygyle of like to add some smoke to it. It seems that it would be really easy to come steep the smoked malt (not the peated kind) 24hrs before the brew day and then just add it to the last 15mins of the boil. I've read this is fine for dark malts, but I wonder if this would work for a smoked malt. I think the dark malt has crystallized the fermentables whereas the smoked will end up providing non-converted sugars?

If this is a bad idea the backup plan would be to steep as I assume there are enough enzymes in the malt itself to do the conversions.

I have made quite a few smoked beers. I have mashed all of them. Peat smoked is the most powerful and about an ounce is plenty. I used cherrywood smoked malt in another and used a few pounds. Even more would have been OK.

You might get a milder smoked flavor by steeping. With the exception of the peat smoked, I didn't find any of them particularly harsh.

Unless you have used one and know how much you can use without getting too much smoke, use a recipe that gives you some idea of how smoky it will be. Then you can adjust the next time you use that smoked malt.

I've tried to scale my smoked malt to what I think should be right. I figure I'll get another 20% of the sugars of our three initial gain bed and most recipes I've seen use 20% smoked malt. So that puts me at 50lbz grain bill * 20% (eff) w/ 20% (smoke) = 2. 4 lbs smoke

Any thoughts on cold steeping the smoked malt?

I got a response to my question on episode 36 of experimental brewing. Sorry answer is cold steeping 24hrs before hand will work just fine.

Latest posts

Back