Cold snap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CourtHouseBrewing

Reaction score
Ok, I live in Central Florida. It was getting warm so I brewed an American Pale ale with WLP570 so it would do well in the warm weather we get; my fermenting chamber has a lager in it so I could not use that. It was going great at about 70oF. Now it looks like it stalled. I don't heat that part of the house where I store my brewing in. It got to 30oF last night and the room is very cold. I put a small heating pad I had around half the bottom area to heat it up. Well this work? Will it start again when it warms up? I hate being a newbie and not knowing so I'm glad to have this forum to ask those with so much more experience. Thanks in advance for all the great comments I know are coming.

I'm dealing with similar issues here in Tampa. From what I've seen so far, they should come back to full speed when they warm up.

It's not often we have this kind of problem, usually it's trying to keep the beer cool as it's fermenting. I'm a lot better at fixing that problem.

I'm dealing with similar issues here in Tampa. From what I've seen so far, they should come back to full speed when they warm up.

It's not often we have this kind of problem, usually it's trying to keep the beer cool as it's fermenting. I'm a lot better at fixing that problem.

Lol... I know I bought a small fridge and modified it to fit my 6.5 gal carboy so I could do a Lager here in Florida. Now I want another one. The wife is not going to like what I have done with the spare bedroom when I get a few refrigerators and ice chests in there and tell her to keep her food out of it.
I’m glad to hear it will kick back in. Should I leave the heating pad on or take it off and wait?

I'd leave it on unless the wort starts to get too warm. Or just put it on during the nights.

Luckily, the forecast I saw doesn't keep this cold around for too many more days.

I'd leave it on unless the wort starts to get too warm. Or just put it on during the nights.

Luckily, the forecast I saw doesn't keep this cold around for too many more days.

I do have it on low and check it a couple of times a day. It is not to vigorous but it is active again. Yes this is Florida so if you don't like the weather wait a day it will change. Thanks.

Back